Author Topic: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update  (Read 96766 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 11:48:35 PM »
I can use all the publicity photos that we can get.  Especially ones from this time of year with everything in bloom.   Next time you are down remind me to show you what I am doing with the brochure.  We talked about it this morn, but never did show you the proto type.  I am looking for photos of the park and museum as well as photos of the boat.  inside and out.

OK, I have sent Ron the before/after photos of the Shark Memorial.  We'll see what happens.

I'll make a note to have you show me what's going on.  If we can get a PDF format of the brochure, I can post it on the website.

Let me know what you are wanting of the boat/museum...I got TONS of photos.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 05:35:31 AM »
Great job on the 40mm guys, I will take some close ups of our cranks and post them for you.

Rick it is good to see a Park working so closely with the volunteers, You are or should be a great insperation to the other park managers.
Tom Bowser

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
Thank you Tom.  Fortunately I learn early on that this thing cannot survive without the volunteers.  This is their park more then it is mine.  I just try and get everyone to get along.  Another fortunate aspect out here is that everyone does seem to get along.    :police:

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
What impresses me the most about this restoration project is that you restored the platform extension that makes up the "cigarette deck" and provides room for the 40mm. When they removed those from boats in the so-called "Pearl Harbor Guppy" conversions, they left the boats looking ... well ... naked. Any plans to replace the forward platform?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »
Tom,

We still have our forward platform.  There's a single 20mm on it.  I'd like to see the gun get deflector plates, again.  What we really need are foot holds on the sides of the superstructure.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
Any plans to replace the forward platform?

Vaughn did all that deck work...he is a genius in my opinion.  I have plans to discuss this with Vaughn.  He's got alot going on...and he previous project was putting A/C in the boat.  Now that this has been completed, he might be up for it.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »
this thing cannot survive without the volunteers

And we can't volunteer without a manager and board that allows us to work and supports us.

I've been on the opposite side where there volunteer programs was just about run off...

Rick is doing a great job and we finally have a board that, from my perspective, has the best interest of the park in their mind.

Times are good at the Batfish and it's a real joy to come out and spend the day.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
I would like to see the the deck restoed ont he front of the sail as well as the rungs to get to the decks.  i would also like to see the lockers restored.  (all long term goals)

I have to play bad guy here though.  As you guys start toward these projects,  I need to be aware of them.  I am your biggest fan and biggest supporter,  but I need to know what is going on to help you guys out.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »
You're not the bad guy... you're just running interference so that we can get the ball into the end zone.   ;)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
That is what I am talking about. 

I wasn't going to respond,  but I wanted that second strip......... :crazy2:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »
While we are on the topic of guns,  has there been any discussion as to the 20mm.  I have been told that the barrel shaped support for the gun was more indicitive of the shore mounted batteries.  The ones in WWII had more of a tripod configuration.   

Most people will never know the difference.  I was  just currious.

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 11:44:59 PM »
While we are on the topic of guns,  has there been any discussion as to the 20mm.  I have been told that the barrel shaped support for the gun was more indicitive of the shore mounted batteries.  The ones in WWII had more of a tripod configuration.

I've noted that also...but a base would have to be made and the only one I know that could do it would be Vaughn.

I need to call him (will do it on Monday) and discuss this and other things with him.

Mark A.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »
Only other recourse would be to start calling every Naval Reserve station in the U.S. and asking them if they would be willing to part with one of their outside display pieces.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »
To make it simpler and closer, you might want to check with local American Legion, VFW and Amvets posts that might have one on their front lawn. There's actually an open-tripod 20mm (Mark 10) at a post near me. The bad news is that the mounting ring is embedded in concrete. Once someone were to get it free, it could use a good pin-chipping or stripping. It doesn't look particularly well cared for.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »
Yeah, most of those VFW/Legion/Reserve display pieces get random coats of paint, but little other care.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor