Author Topic: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update  (Read 96850 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2008, 01:26:38 PM »
Here are two pictures of the 40mm and 20mm guns that were on fleet boats (from the 1946 Fleet Sub manual).  Notice that the 40 has a railing like Paul posted the other day behind the seats.  According to Vaughn, the one on the Batfish now isn't the correct version (and the vets really fought putting it on there).  However, it's pretty close to what I see in the picture.  Is there a place to mount a repro railing if Vaughn made one?

Also, notice the stand for the 20mm.  Ours looks something like this, but we have that goofy locking wheel on the side.

In my opinion what we have is pretty good for the moment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »
According to Vaughn, the one on the Batfish now isn't the correct version (and the vets really fought putting it on there).  However, it's pretty close to what I see in the picture.  Is there a place to mount a repro railing if Vaughn made one?

Ours use to have that railing, Vaughn removed it due to space restrictions on the extended bridge.  There is no room really to create and remount one.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
Ah, I see.  We'd have to extend the aft cig. deck. We're looking at extensive bridge repairs, anyway.  So, should we just give Vaughn the green light to build a lip extension?  He'll have to modify the railing and probably wouldn't have to mess with the 40 to do the work.  We have enough photos and hopefully original build plans.  It's just a thought...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
We're looking at extensive bridge repairs, anyway

We are?  I know about replacing some of the rusted out portions...what else?

I don't know about extending it...that would be Rick's call...and contingent on Vaughn wanting to re-do the work.

Rick - can you put out a list here or via email to the volunteers as to what is going on in regards to current work and planned work?  There are so many ideas floating around that it's a bit confusing (at least to me) as to what is going on and who is doing what.  I'm all for whatever needs to be done for improvements, but we need to be organized and focused.  Thanks in advance.  And yeah, I know that the deck gets first priority   ;)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »
Keep in mind that this board is primarily a place to exchange ideas and pontificate.  By no means is what gets written on here a final list of things that must happen. 

I talked with Vaughn a little bit about the bridge repairs and he agreed that a lot of work needed to be done.  We never discussed his ideas/intentions/orders from Rick.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
MarkA
I am getting a letter together.  I will send out a scuttlebutt letter by the end of the week.

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
pontificate

Can't you get arrested for that?   ;D

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
If you could, most politicians would be behind bars.

I just want to make sure that the creative ideas continue to flow on here and I think that we've all done a pretty good job of exchanging ideas and opinions and keeping it civil.  I don't want people to become "afraid" of voicing an idea with imminent verbal retribution coming around the corner.  I'm learning a lot by throwing stuff out there for everyone to chew on and provide feedback on.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:23:26 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »
Yes sir...and I wouldn't want it any other way.  It's nice to get feedback from Paul and Tom and others with way more time put in than us.  They've been down the road we are going and I for one value their advice, suggestions & knowledge.

However, with that said, I've been at the park a while and I know first hand what can...and will...happen if some type of plan isn't put in place.  100's of things going on and nothing gets completed.  I'm excited about what Rick is doing and having you and others joining us there.  Many hands makes the work light.  Focused work gets the tasks done quicker, which makes the park look better quicker...which makes Rick look like the genius he doesn't claim to be.

Keep the ideas coming, most of them I haven't thought of.  Rick can prioritze them and I think in the end, the sub will be the winner.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
 :angel:
Yes.....

Can I hear a halleluah.........

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2008, 03:41:26 AM »
<cough> Ahem..... :angel:halleluah! :angel:
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
THe 40mm guns may have been mounted on subs with the back railings, but most of them were cut off by the crews for good reason, they were in the way. The backrails were popular on single 40s mounted on PTs and LSTs where space an access wasn't a problem.

Check your photo record to see how the 40mm guns looked on BATFISH.  DRUM has her backstops; we cut ours off the replacement guns we obtained in the mid 90s because COD never went on patrol with them.  The spare backstop is going to a PT in SanFran.

The single 20mm mounts were mostly the open-legged tripod mounts, although some (early mounts?) were of the solid cone shapes shown in the FLEET SUB HANDBOOK. 
 :uglystupid2:
PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2008, 06:40:19 PM »
40mm update (6/14/08).  We are 99.9% done with the painting.  Got about 15-30 minutes of touch up painting to do.  On the 28th, Vaughn will attach the fabricated handles...we'll paint them...and the 40 restoration will be complete.  At that time, I will post several photos and will try to capture some video.

Now if can just keep the birds from pooping on it...I'll be happy.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »
Now if can just keep the birds from pooping on it...I'll be happy.

LOL.  One thing that I haven't noticed much of around the periscope shears is bird droppings - I know that Mark is joking.  Maybe I haven't lookind hard enough, but that is pretty amazing.  It must be the lack of pigeons in Muskogee. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
I know that Mark is joking.

No, we had to clean up several instances of bird crap from the seat to the end of the barrel.  I'm going to put one of those dummies on the 40mm