Author Topic: New Record?  (Read 6747 times)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
New Record?
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
This must be a record for the longest duration of no activity to date.  Isn't anything happening at any of the museum boats or did all the boats but Torsk sink? (now that would be a good trick for Batfish and some others!)   ;)

After taking a break for the holidays, the Torsk Volunteer Crew will be aboard the 423 this Saturday turning and burning and making things work.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: New Record?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
Spring will be here before we know it!   :)

Offline Earl

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Spring? There's seasons on a submarine?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
Earl,

The last time I checked (which has been a while now) TORSK does have at least 2 seasons..... COLD in the winter and then HOT in the summer :2funny:

Just ask Chief Eacho when Larry "TORSKDOC" and I restored the ATR head in FEB, I don't remember which one of us fought harder to take valves below just to hit them with the propane torch to warm up :coolsmiley: or my favorite being stuck inside of the sail trying to get the Main Induction Head Valve open on one work weekend, on Wed it was nice and warm and by Sunday it was cold and raining

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
 Bat-boat lacks any working heat sources, too.  So, when it's warm outside and I'm at the boat, I open a few hatches to let the warm air in.  It takes a while to get all of that cold metal up to temperature.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
Mark,

The Torsk crew LONG before I showed up in 2004 had installed the small electric type space heaters in most of the compartments that they hardwired into the AC system so that they could provide heat during the winter and they do have an operational Cough Cough A/C unit that does work somewhat in the summer.... a few years ago I was able to donate 2 large 36" stand up fans on stands, with the stands off they fit the hatches real nice, 1 went into the bridge access trunk and the other goes over the AER hatch. it does provide a LOT of air circulation that has made the boat cooler in the summer and the heaters deffinatly do a lot for the winter time in Baltimore... Cough Cough....

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »
I've used a box fan over the bridge hatch to draw cool air from the CR into the CT.  We have two new A/C units (one for fore and one for aft) and they still struggle to keep her cool.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy