Author Topic: Berth Shift  (Read 17529 times)

Offline Buggsy

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Berth Shift
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday the Clamagore will move from her berth for the last 30 years to another pier at Patriot's Point. ???  Because of use-changes the only way to get her out is to move a section of the pier, which is more complicated than many would understand.  Besides, the Administration wants to put the destroyer Laffey where the Clamagore is now and the Clamagore where the Laffey was before her yard work was done. ::)  Hopefully she will move tomorrow evening on the high tide.  I'll keep you informed.
Here's a picture of the 500 ton crane that is moving the pier section.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Berth Shift
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:48:29 PM »
Now that's interesting!  Keep us updated on the move!

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »
Unfortunately, I think the Clam is firmly planted on the bottom and I somehow believe it will be a rerun of the first attempt to move the Intrepid. I hope I'm wrong.

Offline Buggsy

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:32 AM »
You are wrong Fred.  I'm down there regularly and I KNOW it floats when there is enough water depth.
My intent this morning was to add that the moving contractor has had the foresight to place an air compressor on deck and they have hook ups to the ballast tanks so they can keep them full of air.  There may be problems but they seem to be taking great care and caution in moving the boat.

Offline Buggsy

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
Sorry I have no new pics but it was very foggy here all morning and I could hardly see the boat from the vantage point. :(
On the hi tide this morning they positioned the barge that will winch the Clamagore out of her berth to where tugs can get to her.  Attaching cables and backing down the boat swayed and moved a little bit forward, so she is apparently floating freely on the hi tide. 8)  The plan is to move her on the tide tonight, about 8PM.  I plan to be there but pics are iffy at best.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
Hope you're right, dude ...

Offline Buggsy

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »
Well dude, I am right.   :)  She's moved to the bow of the carrier where she'll sit until morning when they can reconfigure and move her around to her berth.
She slid out like she was underway... just slower.  Rose a bit over a little hump but settled back and moved right along. ;D
Funny thing is, there were about a dozen Laffey vets there to see the sub get out of the way but not a single subvet, USSVI member, but me there. :-[ Charleston Base is a weird place. :(
Sorry there are no pics but I had no luck since it was dark and lots of artificial light.  Maybe PP will have some on their site, or facebook.

Offline Buggsy

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:26 PM »
This morning about 8 AM, the old girl is under tow, well out in the harbor.  Proof that she was not stuck in the mud, I hope. :P

Her new berth, behind the carrier.  Please be advised that no major, or minor pieces broke off, no gapeing holes in her anywhere, occurred during this move which was carried out smoothly and very professionally by Steven's Towing.  They really took great care with the old girl.

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Thanks for the pix! Glad to see the trip went well.

Gil

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 10:43:12 PM »
i sa on msn that the USS laffey came home today:) all go okay bringing her back?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Buggsy

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
The Laffey came home just as she left, gracefully and smooth as silk! ;)  But the Clamagore may have had the last say.  They put Laffey where the Clamagore had been and when the tide droped, the Laffey took a sharp list. ???  Seems the Clamagore left a trench where she'd been and half of the Laffey tried to fill it on the ebb tide! :2funny:  Sure had folks hopp'n. ;D

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Did you get any pics of the Laffey listing?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy