Author Topic: Hatch from control room to main outside deck.  (Read 10176 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Hatch from control room to main outside deck.
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »
Guys,

I was reading that the hatch from the front of the control room leading up to the main deck (comes out under the bridge on the port side of the superstructure) was mainly used for hauling shells up to the deck gun from the ammunition storage in the galley.  The lower part is obviously blocked by the dummy sailor, but have any of you opened the upper hatch to see what condition it's in?  It almost looks like another escape trunk.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Hatch from control room to main outside deck.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:42:01 PM »
I have not...and I'm not sure about moving the sailor w/o Rick's permission.  Ed put the sailor/box up.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »
I've been meaning to ask him if the sailor could be put back in the museum.  No disrespect is intended, but the control room is already pretty crowded and getting another escape trunk "working" is always a bonus.  It's also a shorter path back up to the deck from the control room if we're working on something.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
While speaking with one of the vets,  I found out that there was actually a scuttle (pipe leading to the deck) located inthe galley.  The crew would remove the shells from the weapons locker and feed them through the scuttle to the deck and then the shells could be easily moved the the main deck gun.   The scuttle has since been removed probably during one of her many upgrades over the years.  

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »
Okay.  That makes sense since they pretty much removed the guns by the early 50's, except for the fleet snorkel boats converted in the late 50's.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »
I personally do not have a problem with this.  I want to double check with Ed thought.  He may know more about the significanse other then being dedicated to Bud Mobs....

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »
I want to double check with Ed thought.  He may know more about the significanse other then being dedicated to Bud Mobs....

I agree with both of you...it does take up room, and in my personal opinion should be in the museum, especially since we have more room now.  Yes, check with Ed and see if he has any problems with it.  I just can't remember all the details in why it was put in the boat.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »
On the Drum the scutle was put in in June of 1945 when they got the 5" gun forward, we are missing the lower hatch to it and the operating gear topside. She never got the hatch in control.
Tom Bowser

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »
Any update on this hatch?

Also is there a noticeable spot in the crews mess as to where the ammo scuttle would be? Maybe we could try to fabricate one and put one up.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
Not change on the Bud Mobbs hatch.  I have not had time to deal with this one yet.  I have just discovered 2 doorways and about 1000 light bulbs to replace in the boat as it is,  not to mention the flag pole tha still need repair.  I need more hands.....

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »
I have not had time to deal with this one yet.  I have just discovered 2 doorways and about 1000 light bulbs to replace in the boat as it is,  not to mention the flag pole tha still need repair.  I need more hands.....

Ed will be there tomorrow...ask him then and then ask him about looking into the flag pole (if it's something he can fix).

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »
It is,  I need to coordinate with the fire department and get the laddertruck out again.  I have the parts.