Author Topic: Clamagore update  (Read 18088 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Clamagore update
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
Received this yesterday:

“Patriots Point Development Authority in Charleston, SC is looking for a new home for the WWII-era submarine, USS Clamagore (SS 343), and has initiated the Section 106 process for determining the vessel’s future.  The pressure hull of the vessel is thought to be in pretty good shape, but the ballast tanks and turtle back need a lot of restoration work.  Any established museum that has an interest in acquiring the intact submarine, not just parts of it, should contact Bob Howard @ Patriot's Point."

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Clamagore update
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
What is the latest status on the CLAM?  I wonder if we could float her over to Tom's place or maybe berth her up here in the middle by BATFISH...... :D

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:05:47 AM »
one submarine is enough for oklahoma XD just getting the batfish here was hell. .it would be nice to see it transfered to somewhere in flordia...then again the requin had her own little probs at flordia...hopefully she will end up in the west coast thats if she can even make the journey their.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:05:35 AM »
She'd never make the west coast.  Too bad of shape and too far to go.  Panama Canal?  No way.  She stays east or maybe gulf or she's a reef.

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
We could bring her to Muskogee. All we need to do is borrow this trailer.   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUuQIpVuhCg

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:38:08 AM »
We could not take on another submarine rebuild, I am hoping I can finish the Drum in this life. It would be great to have someone take her on but I don't know where you will find anyone crazy enough.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Agreed.  With more and more cities going bankrupt, due to fiscal malfeasance, the last thing that anyone will want to take on is a Navy vessel.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
Tom you sell yourself short.  Just think, if 2 of you can do what you've done for the Drum then 2 more people could work the Clam.  ;D  You just need to find 2 more people in the whole state of (or around) Alabama that like to work on subs.  You'd have the makings of your own sub fleet.  This biggest issue is getting the Clam out of the water before she sinks on her own.  :'( 

If I could find a big enough one time $$ donor, I'd bring her to Muskogee.  Now that the river from the Port of Catoosa south has higher bridges and better navigable channel  the biggest hurdle would be the left turn at three rivers and into the park.  After looking at the video in this thread, I think we have found the guys to lift both the Drum AND Batfish up when the time comes.  They "drove" U-505 down the street and then lowered her into the "pit".  Fantastic work.  I wonder if they still have that gear available?"  ???

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
I wonder how expensive an operation like that would be.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
$1.95  ;D  Watch the video and just look at the oak lumber it took to lower it into the pit.  I am thinking more of what did they use to raise it to put the trailer components under it?  We need that.  Dig under the hull in strategic locations, put in the cross beams and blocks,  raise her up about 10 feet, bring in the cradles and set her down.  Done.  They did theirs in about, what, four days?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
We would need to learn from the mistakes that they made with the Drum, too.  Such as paying attention to where the blocks are placed under the hull, having adequate padding, painting the hull that will rest on the pads before setting her down, etc.  Even a land-locked boat needs the occasional dry-dock repairs, apparently.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor