Author Topic: USS Hazard/USS Marlin Hello!  (Read 8255 times)

Offline KE7RDM

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
USS Hazard/USS Marlin Hello!
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »
Good Afternoon All!

My name is Peter and I work on the USS Hazard and USS Marlin in Omaha NE! I recently discovered this page through our site manager who recomended it as a place to discuss needs/ sources for parts for ongoing restoration! Right now, I am heading up  the restoration of the USS Hazard's radio room to original war time configuration and operation capabilities (the day I can find and aquire all the parts, we will be up on the air!) Any do a radio restoration yet? Anyone have any Navy tubes they need to find a good home? Let me know! Or, if you have questions about the Worlds most landlocked warships, let me know!

73s

Pete

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: USS Hazard/USS Marlin Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Pete!

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Hi Pete,  The Torsk Volunteer Association has been restoring the Radio Room aboard the USS Torsk (SS-423) for many years now. Vacuum tubes are readily available, not always cheap, but available.  Parts is the big problem, especially filament transformers.  Our Radio Room has an R-390A, a AN/SRR-13A, AN/URR-13A, AN/WRR-3, an RBS and a host of support equipment up and running.  Our TCS-12 transmitter/receiver has power supply issues requiring a new transformer, and our URC-32 transmitter/receiver has tuner issues requiring a new belt and total re-alignment. Keeping everything in repair and good working order could be a full time job.  Since it is not, equipment that breaks is usually down for a while.  We do have fun in a sadistic kind of way.

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
Welcome Pete,

USS Cobia's radio room is operational thanks to one amazing volunteer. He's not only restored the radio room, but also the alarms AND our radar. If you ever have questions for him, just let me know and I can pass them on to him.

Karen