Author Topic: SO should we revisit the school of the boat once more?  (Read 20092 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
SO should we revisit the school of the boat once more?
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »
it has come to my attention that this thread started roughly 4 years ago and hasn't been worked on in a few years HOWEVER it truly shows on the counters how many have come to this simple thread and did research for their projects and for their general knowledge, however I kind of believe that there are more unanswered questions out there now that there are more people onboard.

IF there is folks start asking because I am sure that we can try to answer all of your questions,

Darrin :idiot2:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:47:09 PM by Darrin »

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: SO should we revisit the school of the boat once more?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
Hey, I'd love for us to talk about anything around here.  :)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
Darren,

Even if no one is up for another School of the Boat, please please please leave the thread up. The information contained within is invaluable, not only as a reference to the text, but the firsthand knowledge that's posted with it. I've found myself using it as a quick-reference now and again when I can't remember the answer to a question that I have. Click...click...and there's the answer.  ;)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Agreed.  We BLHA officers have decided to pursue tackling the plumbing system on the Batfish, finally. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:20 AM »
Corey,

The only way that the school of the boat thread is going away is when Lance shuts the board dow, it is here for everyone to use and once more i think we need to revisit some of the lessons learned in more detail if possible

Darrin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »
Well Lance,

It looks like this thread lives again, Call Martha and re-invite Paul to show back up and give us a hand on the san tank issue

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »
Pictures of the access hatch from the various boats would be a big plus.  If ours is truly buried under a layer of tile (probably installed when she became a dockside trainer), we'll have to get permission to pull the tile up to access it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
Well Lance,

It looks like this thread lives again, Call Martha and re-invite Paul to show back up and give us a hand on the san tank issue

Darrin

OK :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »
Well Lance,

After what a month it looks like this thread is living once more and helping people again and I am glad to see that it is working once more...

For the lurkers PLEASE speak up, this forum is for everyone and I for one don't know everything and god help me if I have come off like I do because I don't

Darrin

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »

For the lurkers PLEASE speak up, this forum is for everyone and I for one don't know everything and god help me if I have come off like I do because I don't

A question that has been on my mind a lot from the 4th patrol of the Silversides:

"Thus with a dangling torpedo with war head attached, a fuel and air leak, an explosion in a main generator and Cream of Wheat in the main induction, all within two hours time, it was decided to leave the area two days ahead of schedule unless leaks can be stopped."

In my numerous trips to subs, I have looked around for how this “box of breakfast food” could get lodged under the bell crank lever of the main induction valve. I even asked at the Silversides, but I think my question wasn’t clear enough due to my distraction of the sounds from the cooling engine.

My only guess is the huge valve in the overhead… but I’m drawing a blank as to how such a substantial lever could be stopped by a cardboard box… well… ok, yes – it needs to be completely seated to close… however (and this is starting to feel like a dumb question due to recently reading), don’t these valves close via hydraulic power?

Forgive the ignorance – I’m better with some things visually…

Update:
Since no one ever answered the last two questions, I'll take a stab at it.  You asked for "main induction valves".  I see two in the diagram that you posted.  There are several induction valves, but only two "main induction valves".  There is one in each of the engine rooms.  There is a lever next to each one attached to the overhead that operates the valves open and shut.
Ok... Like I said before, there's a LOT of good information here... It just takes some time to get to.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:41:35 PM by Mike »
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
Darrin asked me if I wanted to do some School of the Boat stuff again.  I'm checking with him on some stuff I just did - maybe we'll posting something soon.  Anyone up for going back to school? :coolsmiley:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
JT,

I am up for it, however I just finally changed my email address to my current one.. Have been locked out of the army.mil account for a while now and haven't been able to get back into it, so if any of you have sent me emails in the past and I have not replied back to you I have to apologize for that and will try to get that email account opened back up once more

Darrin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
Darrin I will need your current email address - mine is still good either Hotmail or gmail works
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
JT,

Sorry about that my friend, my current email is dsinger1211@gmail.com and please restart the school of the boat and lets see how many people that we can get back on here once more  ;)

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »
Anyone wanna address Mike's questions up a few posts?