Author Topic: Submarine discovery  (Read 5026 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Submarine discovery
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
HMS Olympus has been found off of Malta..she sank in 1942 89 sailors lost their lives..and 9 surviors ..its not an american vessel but still happy to see some of these old missing subs being discovered brings closure to the family.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:06:46 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Submarine discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:50:09 AM »
Civilian divers first found the wreck of a World War II Soviet sub, perhaps destroyed by German mines, the Swedish military says.

STOCKHOLM — The wreck of a Soviet submarine lost during World War II has been found in the Baltic Sea, 71 years after it sank, the Swedish military said Monday.

The Swedish Armed Forces said the submarine, believed to have been lost on patrol in late 1941, was found in the Swedish economic zone southeast of the Baltic island of Oland in an area that German forces had mined during the war.

"There is much to indicate that the submarine headed straight into the minefield while on the surface and was blown apart by a mine," the military said in a statement.

On its website, the military posted a video and still images of the wreckage, which had broken into two large sections.

The wreck was first reported by civilian divers last summer. Swedish submarine salvage ship HMS Belos confirmed the find and photographed it during the following months, the military said.

Swedish authorities had informed Russia of the find in order to give family members and the Russian navy the opportunity to conduct a memorial ceremony at the site, the military added.

Several Soviet submarines sunk during World War II have been found in Swedish waters over the years, it added.

glad another sub wreck was found:)..i wish the Navy would go out to look for some of our missing subs
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian