Author Topic: New Batfish research  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
New Batfish research
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
It appears the dent line down the starbord side did not happen when the barges were swamped on the way to Oklahoma but the damage to the port screw protector was.  I have found an old article written by Dr. Edward McIntosh in Sea Classics magazine from September of 1982.  There are pictures were she is in dry dock with the dent already there.  The pictures were taken when they were getting ready to release her to Muskogee for museum status.  I am going to attach the magazine article as a pdf. The pictures are not very clear in the magazine as are all the pictures in those days.

Edit: Nope the file is 5 meg.  Too big for here.  I'll just attach a page.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:50:38 PM by Jim »

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New Batfish research
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
Jim,

The crease line is from setting against a pier and bouncing slowly and gently against the camels over the years, the Torsk has the same things and I thought origionally that it was from loose mooring lines only to be polietly corrected by the crew that the lines have not been in the water nor had they been overly tight..

Here is the link to see Torsk's crease  http://www.submarinemuseums.org/forum/index.php?topic=991.0