Author Topic: So how did the Batfish get there?  (Read 27486 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: So how did the Batfish get there?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
One of the big factors is that one of the forward tubes was open and that was a major concern.  Vaughn fixed it about a year or so ago...but with the rust problem, I'd be hesitant to flood the area.

Maybe we should just weld the outer doors shut permanently, unless we need them to be accessible for tube work?  At least the lower ones that are below the water line.

I love being able to get up close to the side of the hull.

If we ever floated the boat, again, I would be all for a system that allows for the water to be easily drained.  I like Rick's idea of putting it up on blocks, too.  Once the water is drained, the boat would settle into its "cradle" and would make working on the undersides easily accessible.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:11:54 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 11:03:52 PM »
Maybe we should just weld the outer doors shut permanently, unless we need them to be accessible for tube work?  At least the lower ones that are below the water line.

Probably no need to weld them now that Vaughn got it properly closed.  I'd vote to leave them "as is" unless the Navy complains.

If we ever floated the boat, again, I would be all for a system that allows for the water to be easily drained.  I like Rick's idea of putting it up on blocks, too.  Once the water is drained, the boat would settle into its "cradle" and would make working on the undersides easily accessible.

Personally, I'd hate to see the underside of the sub after sitting in that sand/soil for 35+ years...probably all rusted out.  I'm not sure it could survive resting in a cradle...but in doing so, could allow for preventative measures to be taken that we now can't do.  The cathodic protection probably isn't working as it should.  An assesment of the underside would have to be made before that was done.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 11:46:09 AM »
Good point.  If we go through the trouble of repainting her, it would be nice to get her raised up long enough to clean off the dirt and paint the underside.  Temporarily floating the boat may be easier on the hull than using a crain - and a lot cheaper.  We would need a diver to do the inspection, obviously.  If it's too rusted out, we'll obviosuly need a plan B.

Keep in mind that it's a double hull construction, too.  If the outer hull is rusted, the inner hull still may be in good shape and may be usuable as a support structure. 

Also, the vets and others are insisting that they want the boat to be sand-blasted, as opposed to the original plan of sealing the old paint and putting on a fresh coat of new paint.  I think Rick said it was about $100 to dispose of one 55 gallon drum of contaminated sand.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 12:53:55 PM »
There are definately 2 main streams of converstation here. 

One is to put the boat back in waster.  The problems there are building a pool and maintaining the pool.  This will be a lot of upkeep.  We also will need to secure the boat form any potential leaks that may occur

The second will be to place the boat onto cement blocks.  This will help keep the potential of rust down, but is also a big cost

The jury is out on both items. either way this is  a long term project.  Unless we can get a retired admiral to donate a large sum of cash...  ;D

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 03:37:22 PM »
Well, I'd say that putting her up on blocks is the best long-term solution IMHO.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 09:09:17 AM »
Rick,

I liked your idea of putting her on blocks and eventually putting some water in the pool just high enough that she doesn't float off the blocks.  A short-term solution to the water problem would be to just pump water in from the river (if it 's high enough), and then aerate it to keep the algae down.  I understand that plumbing would have to be run to the river along with a pump.  If we leave the basin as is, we can let the water drain out (or pump it back to the river), if we ever need to gain access to the sides or keel.  Of course, it depends on what the test results show for the soil sample - don't want to pollute the river with lead.

I know that painting is a priority, but it would be nice to be able to access and paint the keel, too.  We just need to sell Mr. Vase.  ;D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »
Find me a good antiques dealer.  I am thinking of trying to get Antiques Road Show to make a showing here.   

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
http://www.antiqueappraisals.net/

Give these guys a try.  They claim to be the best in the business in the country and I think they're here in OK.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »
Why not build a huge in-the-ground concrete swimming pool under the Batfish and have her sit just above the water level on blocks?  Then you could turn her into a theme park for kids in the summer??  :)

Yes, I'm being silly.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »
I can do one better.  Just put the boat on one piling at the center of gravity behind the conning tower.  Then the bigger volunteers can jump up and down at the bow and stern and not only create a realistic rocking feeling in the sub, but also a wave pool for the kiddies.   8)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
I'm afraid to discuss the water fountain idea that was given to me.   LOL

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 08:52:37 AM »
The fountain would only work, if it went off randomly and violently like a depth charge.

I'm guessing the suggestion that you were given probably involved a statue of a woman taking a leak.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
good one Mark,  It actuall invalved a series of small blast fountains arranged in a line across the deck.  Periodically a recording of an airplane flying in would be played and the fountains would be set off to create a straffing run.   The depth charge/bomb idea would be good too.  I am not sure how well it would go over during the winter though.    ;D

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
Those depth charge/ incoming plane splashes sound kind of cool. Im sure in the summer it would be a welcomed relief from the hot weather, then when they get down in the sub it would feel even better with the airconditioning.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:32 AM »
I know this is a really old thread Travis but, they actually do exactly what you are saying on a sound stage at a park (movie) in Florida. Part of the Disney family.  There were about 200 of us watching the WWII Navy demonstration and it was actually really neat to see.  Strafing run, depth charges and all.  They also had a propane (underwater) release and ignition.  Very visually impressive.   :)

Also, the Block idea ala the DRUM would be the best long term solution.  If a pool around that was filled the blocks would sink under the weight of BATFISH so, minimal water is best. (My civil engineering experience kicking in here)  The engineering group that moved and placed the drum has the move and details on their website.  Before I get ahead of myself I will discuss with Rick and crew and see what the direction is here in a few hours at the BATFISH.  The engineering work has already been done for size/reinforcement and placement of the"blocks" and since 310 is on dirt the way DRUM was, it should be fairly problem free to repeat this process.

Maybe....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:08:12 AM by Blackwing »