Author Topic: Bill Lee (aka "Viejo") has gone on eternal patrol  (Read 14153 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Bill Lee (aka "Viejo") has gone on eternal patrol
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
For those who don't know yet, Bil Lee ("Viejo" on here) passed away yesterday.  He was a great man, a real hero.  He was always ready to help, ready to get things done, always just an email away.

"All,

It is with heavy heart that I announce today we received word that Bill Lee has joined the rolls of those on Eternal Patrol.

He collapsed shortly after a meeting with the city concerning the erection of a memorial to the USS Omaha (SSN-692). He passed away shortly afterwards.

As all of us know, Bill was very active in many capacities. We knew him as a member of the Marlin Base and a key interface with the city parks department (primarily focused on Freedom Park), the local Boy Scout troops, and the USS Omaha memorial project. He was also very active in the Lockwood Base and a true historian/preservationist.

As a former USS Scorpion crew member, he had a unique perspective that truly exemplified the phrase, "Pride Runs Deep".

He will be sorely missed.

Mark"

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Lee (aka "Viejo") has gone on eternal patrol
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
he was the first one i talked to about museem submarines and he got me very interested in them :) i willl miss him soo much "may he be up in heaven dancing away with crew members of the USS Scorpian"
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline KE7RDM

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
I first met Bill three years ago when I first began to work at Freedom Park. Bill was the type of guy who would teach you anything you wanted to know and was always willing to lend a hand. I learned a lot from him over the short period I got to know him. I will forever be grateful for the life lessons about everything from business to history to engineering. He worked hard at creating a good trusting work environment and did a lot for the museum community here in Omaha. God speed Bill. It was a pleasure to know you.

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
Even thou I had never met or talked to Bill, I want to offer my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.