Author Topic: As we look at OUR museums around the country struggling by  (Read 24438 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: As we look at OUR museums around the country struggling by
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
Just wanted to share a couple of posts that I received from the family of a couple of our BATFISH WW2 vets.  This is the reason I volunteered and the reason I started the Batfish website.  These statements speak for themselves.

"To you who have devoted such effort towards preserving memories of this fine boat and her crew, I want to make sure you know that you are appreciated.  Bless you for your dedication.  The website gets better and better, and from the pictures on site, it appears that people from the local community and beyond have put there own time and effort into a monument that they have come to respect, understand, and relate to, for reasons that speak well of them, as Americans.  It is no easy task to promote and preserve a massive chunk of tubular steel resting (and always rusting) in a dry river bed, but you as webmaster, the working volunteers, and those who went before you have endeavored to do just that.  You obviously realize that it is more than a massive chunk of steel, especially to those who put her to sea for 7 war patrols, and during her years as a reserve boat following the war.  Yours is a labor of respect for those men living and passed, sentimental devotion to their sacrifices, and honest patriotism.  So honest, because there is no reward for your efforts beyond the satisfaction of knowing that what you have done and will continue to do helps preserve a small piece of big history.   Thank you, and may you get a million hits on your website, and may the entire free world pass through Muskogee, sooner or later."  (Tue, 22 May 2001, Curt Hingson, son of Lt. J.M. Hingson, Batfish commissioning officer)

Here is another:

"Please give the volunteers, the ones we met and those we didn't, Anne's and my sincere appreciation for their service to the Memorial. We all do things for different reasons but let them know the kids of Jake Fyfe expressly thank them for their dedication and hard work. It is quite obvious that without the volunteers, there likely wouldn't be a War Memorial featuring the USS Batfish." (Monday, 15 May 2006, Jay Fyfe, son of Batfish skipper #2 John K. Fyfe)

My sincere thanks for all of those that came out and served in our "Relief Crew".  Not only my thanks...but you can also share in the accolades above.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
Love these, Mark! (Belated) Congratulations and well done!! As I may have mentioned, this speaks volumes about your efforts, ethos and character. And like I've shared, these veterans and their families "get it."

Offline Brent Trout

• Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »
Love to see responses like those. I cannot wait to see where the future takes us.

Offline N4KC

• Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
Please note that there is another move afoot by a group to try to save Clamagore.  Let's not only wish them well but support them any way we can.

See:  https://www.facebook.com/friendsoftheclamagore

Don Keith
www.donkeith.com

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 08:52:04 PM »
I have been on here for a few years now and I have made a few comments that don't set well with others and for that I have to apologize for... With that being said here is a great presentation of why I am so upset regarding a few museum groups and i know that there are more out there that have not been heard from yet.

Remember folks KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID (KISS) works more than you will ever understand when dealing with a museuem or being involved with one.. And for those whom can't or won't understand that I feel for you.

https://bmorerose.exposure.co/uss-torsk-ss423

Darrin (Ret) SSG, USA
Frmr TM3(SS), EO3(SS)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:44 PM »
Here is the latest update on TVA and her situation with HSIB