Author Topic: Introductory Questions for Museum Staff  (Read 24625 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Introductory Questions for Museum Staff
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 09:51:23 AM »
All,

I have posted a new thread regarding the display signage so that it doesn't get lost in this one, IF your museum has redone your signage and would like to add the company that you used please do so

Darrin

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Darrin,
Thanks - I was beginning to feel a pang or two of remorse for starting the thread.

Good to hear about the progress for the TVA, though it comes across as quite odd that a written SOP would be come up with now... It sounds like a few steps in the right direction, however. I especially like the fact that the TVA is involved - nothing says mutual support than opinions sought out in all directions.

Good luck,

Mike

"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
This discussion has gotten dusty, but for what it's worth, my path has been started.

Months ago, I asked a simple question and got tons of constructive replies. In the time since, I have begun to understand the perspectives of several contributors as well as where I want to go in life, what I want to do, and what is important to me. Sometimes, inspiration comes at you in a strange direction.

The question I have now is: all of these essays I write which relate to this board... would this be a good place to share and sort of refine the ideas I am working on? Social media is interesting due to the feedback, but the speciality just isn't the same caliber as it would be here. Granted, there is the issue of citations and quotes, and I think that should the need arise, I am capable of handling it appropriately, but not only would the critique of SME's be valuable, it would get me excited for the discussions which take place only here.

Thoughts?
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
Mike,

From the sounds of it the question that you asked was answered and then some, while can only speak for myself on this issue I personally have no problems if you post more questions or essay's for us to look over and help you with

Darrin

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Rather than start a new thread, I have another question more fitting for here:

What motivates you?

Whether it is preserving/archiving manuals on the HNSA site, running the "School of the Boat" here, tending 70+ year old diesels, or just reading this right at this moment... What compels you (us) to the various ends we go to in studying and being what is essentially "caretakers" of history?

For me, I suppose it is multi-faceted (forgive me if you have seen this before, but it does sum it up for me pretty well):
Subs were cool when I was younger.
The drama of the hunt... the slow danger of depth charges...
As I got older, I became more fascinated with the technology. Early radar, balky torpedos, and the mechanics of operation...
Now, however, the stories of the men intrigue me further... the leadership, bravery, and dedication of a generation growing further and further from us in the present. Along with this, the logistical nightmare the submarine campaign created for the Imperial Japanese Navy has truly began to make sense of the multifaceted appreciation I have had for this topic. Even the perspective of a once hated and feared enemy compels me to learn more about both sides of the same war.
While modern subs may be technological marvels and capable of so much more... the intensity of stories from over seventy years ago continue to draw me in.
Subs get cooler as I get older.

Now, however, the fascination isn't just with the boats left or the histories of the ones long gone - it's more of the people who do so much for this subject. Volunteering countless hours... searching for a replacement for a piece of history pilfered long ago... arranging for much needed parts to be produced in bulk to distribution to other boats... scavenging... networking... researching... Everything I have read here speaks of a passion that really doesn't get the acknowledgement or thanks that it deserves. Oftentimes, it even seems that the powers that be interfered as much as possible due to ignorance, indifference, or pride. Whether or not that has, or will make a difference isn't the point, though, for you are still reading this. 

So, what make you "tick"? What drives you?

Henry Rollins