Author Topic: Open for Business  (Read 20689 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Open for Business
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 09:21:12 PM »
My uncle designed and oversaw the construction of the replica of the Nina, which is birthed in Corpus Christie, TX.  They built it in Bahia, Brazil, because a lot of the wood in the rain forest was similar in durability as what was used in Europe for wooden ships back then.  The villagers also used a lot of the same construction techniques from the 15th century and he was going for authenticity.  I don't remember what they used for the deck, but it may have been Ipe.  Very hard and durable.

I got to sail on her for 2 weeks in the summer of 1992.  We mostly visited ports, but it was a huge attraction where ever it went.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »
I believe the Nina was just here a couple of weeks ago down on the Mississippi coast!

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
Hi guys,

Chris gave you a pretty good idea of our projects. Some of the others that we are working on include Radio Room restoration, construction of a replica Portsmouth type Torpedo Skid, deck repair in the Forward Torpedo Room, and replacing the worn/torn decorative ropework on handrails and ladders.

We've also been busy in our archives (housed in the Forward Battery Well on Torsk) sorting and catalogging our blueprint collection and technical manual collection.

If any of you are in the area on a Saturday morning, come aboard and visit with us. We are normally there from 0700-1200 and sometimes later. Let us know ahead of time if you are coming and we'll roll out the red carpet for you!

Gil

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »
The Batfish has got some wood for her new decking,but i cant remember the name of it. Ours was already pre-cut in the long strips, but now we have to take the old deck off and cut the new ones to fit on.

Yep, it's been sitting under a tarp out by the garage for almost a year now...it needs to get cut, treated and installed before it turns to dust.  I'll ask Rick what is holding this up.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
He told me that he wants to strip and paint the metal exterior before putting the deck on.  I think Phase I was stripping and painting, Phase II was the deck installation, and Phase III was installing the 5" deck gun.  Total price tag of about $60K, but you probably know that.  Time to start soliciting the local oil barons. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
He told me that he wants to strip and paint the metal exterior before putting the deck on.  I think Phase I was stripping and painting, Phase II was the deck installation, and Phase III was installing the 5" deck gun.  Total price tag of about $60K, but you probably know that.  Time to start soliciting the local oil barons. :)

Where is the 5 inch gun coming from? As all we have at the museum is two 3 inchers, and that 5" that I believe came off of a battleship.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
That I don't know.  I'm 99% sure that Rick said '5" gun', but maybe he intends to use one of the 3" guns.

Btw, we apologize for commandeering the Torsk forum with our Batfish discussion.   :P

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »
Mark,

No problem - saves us the trouble of clicking into the Batfish forum!!

LOL!

Gil