Author Topic: Deck gun  (Read 15719 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 09:35:41 PM »
Reading some reports on gunnery practice, the results weren't too favorable, but it's a combination of the weapon, the moving platform, and the untrained crewmen.  Some boats decided to bring gunners on board and even installed fire control direction equipment - radar range finding.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »
I guess that all falls into knowing your equipment/weapons...

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »
Yeah.  Firing at the right moment when the roll and pitch of the boat are at the instance when it's level is a large part of it.  Otherwise, you're firing too low, too high, too left, too right, or some combination thereof.  Speed played a big part,too.  Running at 18 knots in choppy water would make for a bad gunnery day.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
never thought of that.  When I start looking at all of these factors, it really makes you appreciate the new firing systems that we have now days....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »
Yeah.  Those modern 5" guns that can shoot 20 miles over the horizon are incredible.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
On the 5" inch gun, here is a pic of the one at the corner of the museum, and a comparison to the actual wet mount sub 5".

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:26:53 PM by Travis McLain »
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
Definitely two different weapons.  Maybe we can find another museum or organization to trade with.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Deck gun
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
Definitely two different weapons.  Maybe we can find another museum or organization to trade with.

I agree.  I think that this gun would look totally out of place on the deck of the sub.

I vote again for either (1) put on one of the 3" guns currently at the park...or (2) find an actual 4" or 5" DECK GUN.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
Deck gun
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
I agree with Mark Allen, I think for the time being after the deck is done we should put one of the 3" on and then if we get a 4" or 5" replace the 3".

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Deck gun
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 10:42:45 PM »
Guys, the deck gun conversation now has its own thread.  :)  Confusion was running amok.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »
That is good Lance, thanks. It seems us Batfish guys get talking on so many different subjects on a specified topic thred. lol.

Now our only problem, if we want to go with the 4", is trying to find one. Now disagreeing with my previous post, I think we should try to stick with historical accuracy and see if we can get a 4" to put on the deck.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 11:36:35 PM »
Now our only problem, if we want to go with the 4", is trying to find one. Now disagreeing with my previous post, I think we should try to stick with historical accuracy and see if we can get a 4" to put on the deck.

Travis - I agree...finding one is the key.  Unfortunately that may not happen.  But we have until the deck is replaced to actually decide.  But in all honesty, I'd much rather put a gun on the sub that was an actual DECK GUN than modify a shore battery gun to "make it fit".

You have to ask yourself...of the two guns at the park, which one would be the "most" historically correct?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
Rick and I talked some about this yesterday.  Nick also was at the park and he said this big gun was maybe off of a tender or something like that.

I think we are in agreement that the big gun WILL NOT be put on the sub.  What will probably happen, and correct me Rick if I misunderstood, is that once the deck gets replaced, we'll put the 3 inch gun on the deck.  If we can find/borrow/steal a 4 inch or 5 inch gun, then we'll remove the 3 inch and replace it with whatever we can get.

And it will be located aft of the bridge.

At least that is what I understood from our discussion.

Mark A.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
Are you running for Pres. or something?  This is spoken with the best of the candidates.    :2funny:

No after learning that the actuall deck gun was shorter then the 5 in that we have on the grounds this will be impratical.  I do want to make it clear though that it was neve my intention to use that gun as it was displayed.  Ht mounting definatly needed to be striped and replaced to make it close. 

Anywho,   I am not against using one of the 3 in. 

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 02:24:40 PM »
Well that sound better than nothing. lol. It will look really good having her full armament onboard! :)