Author Topic: Vandalism at the Batfish  (Read 40821 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Vandalism at the Batfish
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 11:54:12 PM »
BZ Tom... If I had not already gotten ride of my wife,  I would have loster 12 months ago....

We are discussing warning plaquards are the Batfish for future potential litigation.  This may be something that needs to be addes to our warnings.  I really hate puting this kind of signage uup as it detracts from the natural beuty that we have at our park not to mention the sub.  Too bad people do not use that welt of flesh God put on their sholders.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »
Rick
We have signs up in the forward torpedo room as they come in the boat asking not to twist or operate and about stealing and fines, they just don't read them or care and as far as I know the park has never charge any scouts even when caught red handed.

I am thinking about tying in recordings to some of the stuff that if it moved or operated ,a loud voice would come on saying" Leave me alone do not touch" and possibly a general alarm go off.. but then they would go back and operate it just to hear it

The park does not want the employess getting on the scouts or leaders about their behavior either. When I know we have a bad group of scouts I will go in early on Sat and Sun morning and chase them off the boat. We just have too many scouts and not enough employees or volunteers.
Tom Bowser

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »
:)

I'm guilty, heck I tried to move a switch in the maneuvering room with Tom standing over my shoulder!  hehe Most things are bolted in place so that they won't get worn out from moving them around though.  I can imagine the feeling of trying to move a switch and it break off in your hand....oh no.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »
Here atain I think we are all guilty to some degree.  Not only do I take care of the sub, I am a den leader for the local cub scouts and father of 3 .  The little rug rats can be terrible.  Even while visiting the Razorback my kids started taking off on me. This can be a major bummer as I am trying to learn as much as I can while wrangling 3 little monsters that can get by on looks.  It all goes back to that natural curriosity thing... 

What really bothers me it the ones that do not admit it.  I understand breaking something.  It happens.  Just admit it when it happens. 

Still love the kids though.   

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
You can always employ Dogbert's Day Care tactics  Just duct tape them up and contain them in a compartment... for a fee.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »
Vandalism reparis are well under way.  I should have them completed by the end of the week. 

Rick

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »
Hey Rick, what exactly happened? Or are we not at liberty to discuss on the forum?
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 06:10:15 PM »
I really do not want to talk about it on the foum.  fortunately the damage was not bad.  No grafitti or anything like that.  just some minor damage to the security mesures in the Officers country....

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  I don't know what this world is coming to.  People in general seem to have no fears or respect for anything anymore.

:tickedoff:

Offline Sam the radio guy

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »
I was out to the boat on Thu April  17th for the 1st time in a long time. thats when I went aboard the boat & noticed all the Vandalism.The first thing I noticed was the wooden doors had the locks on bottom floor broken off.I didn't expressly look for missing items. I'll do so soon. I spoke to Rick about the "Boat sure needed some love & care" before I realized it was vandalism,thinking it was a work in progress. I'm working every day now except Sunday & thats Church twice so I don't get out on that day.

I was out to the boat again on Saturday April 26th (without going aboard the boat) & talked to Rick about how good a job he is doing on the display cases with his new arranging of items, before I read this board about vandalism today the 28th of April & made my comments.

Sam the radio guy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »
Hey Sam...good to see you here.  And yes, it's been a while since I've seen you.  I understand about schedules though.

Don't be a stranger!!

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 01:45:54 PM »
I was out to the boat on Thu April  17th for the 1st time in a long time. thats when I went aboard the boat & noticed all the Vandalism.The first thing I noticed was the wooden doors had the locks on bottom floor broken off.I didn't expressly look for missing items. I'll do so soon. I spoke to Rick about the "Boat sure needed some love & care" before I realized it was vandalism,thinking it was a work in progress. I'm working every day now except Sunday & thats Church twice so I don't get out on that day.

I was out to the boat again on Saturday April 26th (without going aboard the boat) & talked to Rick about how good a job he is doing on the display cases with his new arranging of items, before I read this board about vandalism today the 28th of April & made my comments.

Sam the radio guy

By the way, welcome to the forum Sam!

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »
I agree,  I am glad you are getting on as well. 

Sorry Lance Another BF guy.  We are taking over......  ;D

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »
We are taking over

I wish other boats were as active...we could learn alot from each other
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »
Here are some basic and LOUD door alarms that we might want to consider for some of the doors on the Batfish:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2844467

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2850623

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100081817

If you leave the hatch open from the control room to the main deck (above the dummy), you'll probably be able to hear it, if you're outside of the main museum building.  Some have the option of setting a delay or going off instantly.

Here are some more of those dummy cameras, too.  You just have to change the batteries every so often for the blinking LED:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049770

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2509409

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy