Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 216056 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:08:41 PM »
we'll have that and I'm going to rig up some type of shade using my tarp and ropes.  We will be at the mercy of the Oklahoma sun and that doesn't sound too much fun.  Sunscreen/block, lots of fluid and shade.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
I has a similar idea about the tarp after baking out there for two days and it wasn't July, yet.   :buck2:

I will help out with the deck as I can, but I'm behind on my to-do list for VJ Day.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
Mark A,

This is excellent.  Every little bit hilps out.  We are starting on byt bow and working backward.  I believe the Bridge is ready for decking.  Possible shad spot?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
Does Vaughn need the deck to stay off the bridge until he figures out how and where they are going to repair the rest of it?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
I will check on that one.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
Did any work on the deck get done today?  Just curious.

We'll be down next Saturday to finish the 40mm (assuming Vaughn has the handles done) and then to start on the deck.

MWA
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »
Yes.  we did get a large amount done.  We were able to complete about 30% of the deck forward of the fence line.  There is actually enough room to pace on brand new wood.  It feels nice.   Cutting the planks is slow going as each one in unique.  I feel once we get into the main section it will be far easier as there will be much less fitting involved.   We also have to contend with some warping issues as the wood has been setting in the weather for 3 years. 

We did have a stronge turn out this weekend  Rodger Hudgins, Mark Sarsfield, and jay Williams showed from the reinactors group.   Ed and Carol Williams helped finish cleaning up the tree line on the west end of the property They also helped get the back room cleaned up a little and some display items done.  I also want to point out the the Creek Kids filled some critcal lead positions with the C/S kids.   They were able to take care of a lot of heavy lifting and moving that needed to be done.   

thanks to all that showed up.

Rick

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »
I rather enjoyed working on the deck. It was a change of pace in a way and let me see a part of the ship I hadn't seen before. That and I need to get a hold of Rodger. Need to speak to him about some WW2 re-enacting.

But the new wood looks great on the boat. When we cut the boards the saw dust that flew up was the prettiest shade of purple. It also feels a lot more stable and sturdy under foot than the old deck. The decking and some paint and the boat will be a beautiful site to see.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
After talking with Rick some more about deck volunteers, I quickly came to the understanding that those of us that have been doing the labor on the boat are pretty much all that he has to finish the job in the future... and what a daunting task it is.  We probably need to schedule one work weekend for each month (weather permitting) just to keep the momentum going.  So, when shall we get together in the steamy month of July?  Also, Rick had a good idea of starting at 5 a.m. and quitting by noon, so that we don't fry as much.  This also minimizes the amount of time that he gets interrupted by visitors.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
My wife and I can come about every other weekend.  We'll be down this upcoming weekend and every 2 weeks after that.   FYI.

As for 5 AM...not for me...we can be there around 9 AM or so...rig up some shade and work.

Vaughn also comes about 2 times a month...Ed - I don't know his schedule.

If you want to plan a day, the go for it...but it will have to be the 12th or 26th or I won't be able to be there.  I think Vaughn's schedule is flexible, but I'd need to call him as he doesn't check email too often.

Let me know.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
July 12th should work for me.  I think the 26th I'll be in K.C.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »
Now this is one of those maybe/not sure ideas but I can't sleep and thought of this. Once the new deck is laid all the way down and possibley the boat painted I thought it would be cool to put a deck gun on it. To show what it looked like during the war. Now I know this is a big task and would take a long time to get done, but I was just curious as to what you all thought as well as Rick.

"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »
We're way ahead of you, John. :)  We have several posts about that very topic and we're trying to get a 5" deck gun from San Diego sub base.  My two contacts have gone into the shadows for the past few days.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »
We started to work on the deck today (the painting of the 40mm took a bit longer than anticipated).  We were able to remove about 10 of the bolts and then my nice big screw driver broke...and ended the party.  Oh well...it was hot and we were tired.

On the 28th, we'll be back, looking for some help to continue this.  I'll have a tarp to rig up some shade.  Would like maybe 6 people or so...2 to pull the bolts, 2 to measure and cut and 2 to replace.  The more the merrier.

Come on out.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »
Cordless drills with socket heads really make the job go by quickly.  Bring a spare battery pack if you have one.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor