Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 221848 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
I wanted to be the firse to brag on my deck crew.  They have been kicking Ars and have nearly completed the after protion of the deck.  Next weekend they will be planning to finish filling in the hole in the deck.  after that we have some rework to complete and then onto the bow section.   I can confidently say that we have hit the 85% complet portion of this project.   Many thanks go to Mark ED Lelani, Brent and Jack, as well as the many others that have helped with clean up, plugs, and prep work on this masive project.   I just hope I have nto run you guys off yet as there is much more work to be done :)

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Thank God!  After 3 years...I'm soooo ready to work on something else.  I think it's safe to say we all are ready.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »
I hear you've completed a lot more of the deck?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
The bow is shaping up nicely.  A few areas need to be addressed up there, but one or two more work days and that part should be completed.

We have an area in the aft section that needs to be reworked, because a boy scout volunteer group did more harm than good about a year ago.

Finally, there's the bridge.  I'd like to get our boat horn lever remounted (welded) to the gunwale of the bridge before we start laying any boards down - it's laying below the bridge's deck supports at this time.  The bridge is a pretty small area to repair and I would think that it could be completed in one weekend. We'll have to drill through boards and metal simultaneously, since it's all new support structures up there.  Hopefully, we don't bust too many drill bits.

Mark Allen took pictures this past Saturday.  He probably hasn't had the time to post them.  Otherwise they'd be on here by now.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
Sorry for the delay in posting...

Here is a summary of our work this summer...we only worked one day a month because it was so hot this year, but I can say that phase 1 of the deck work is done.  Phase 2 will include finishing several small areas over the entire deck...and phase 3 will include fixing two areas that boards were laid down incorrectly.

Thanks to all the volunteers that have come out to make this happen.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
Now most of the deck is black.  More fun to continue this Saturday...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »
So Mark,

It has been a few years since the deck project has been updated, what is the latest and greatest in regards to completing the deck?

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
I'll be on the boat on the 16th (visiting and seeing if I can be of any service for repairs, etc.) and I am going to take a whole battery of new external pics.

Also:  What became of the old deck?   Silversides is refinishing and selling their old deck for revenue.  Did Batfish keep her old decking around?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:42:59 PM by Blackwing »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »
We cut up the old deck into 6"blocks of wood and branded them with a silhouette of the the Batfish.  I think the museum sells them for a few dollars.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 13, 2013, 06:49:14 PM »
Neat idea on the branding.  Is the deck completed?  Some very thick stainless grating (foot traffic grade) would be appropriate over the A/C units.  This would allow walking the deck without falling in, blocking off or damaging the units.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
I replied to your PM with the deck details.

I think grating was mentioned before, but then it's one more thing for old people and children to trip over and also dirt from people's shoes will fall into the units.  They are better off being roped off, in my opinion.

I would like to see the fence material removed from the railings and a few more cables installed, instead.  The fence does not make the boat look good at all.

We have also batted around the idea of adding a stairwell to the aft bridge like a lot of boats had done to their bridges during the war.  This would allow visitors, Batfish crew, park management, volunteers, etc. to easily get up there (visitors climb up there now, which is dangerous).

Rick would be more than happy to brief you on anything and everything that has gone down at the museum for the past 40 years and the direction that we're trying to go.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
Excellent Mark, I hope to see him on Saturday.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Mark,

The Torsk has her AC unit underneath the deck on the Port side and it has just the standard decking which has finally been restored, it makes for an interesting view when female tourista's in the past have gone over top of it during the summer... think Ms Monroe in a nice white dress in some like it hot..

And due to the deteriation of the deck and superstructure holding it up, this hasn't been done in years and from what I understand that portion of the topside superstructure and decking have finally been replaced..

Sadly I have not been onboard the Torsk in almost 2 years so while I read the BBS, it just isn't the same as being their onboard dedicating time along with blood, sweat and tears once more.

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
Darrin,

I'm sure that the condensers blowing skirts in the air provide a nice view and entertainment, but since the top of our units are flush with the wooden deck, we really don't want to put a raised grating on top of them.  It's just one more thing to trip over.

Did you move away from Baltimore?  I think I remember you mentioning something like that a while ago.  I'm trying to remember if I visited you guys in 2010 or 2011.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
Mark,

I lived in Va for 8 years and did the 4 hour drive quite often to Baltimore until the gas prices got to expensive for me to do that :-[   and I finally retired from the Military last July and moved to Florida the first week of August 2012, as far as a paying job goes... nope havent worked for pay since sometime last May.

With that being said I did volunteer at the Ft Eustis Transportation Museum finishing up phase 1 and part of phase 2 of the Train Pavilion that I started in 2009/10. And yes they did get a Sherman :2funny: it was supposed to be fully restored and operational, what we got was a rusted out hull with tracks on it, no engine (that I know of) no drive line and at that time those looking at it needed tetnus shots :tickedoff: