Poll

Should the dummies on the Batfish stay and continue to creep out visitors or go?

Stay.
1 (33.3%)
Go.
2 (66.7%)
No opinion.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: April 01, 2008, 05:25:37 PM

Author Topic: Boat Dummies - Stay or Go?  (Read 21814 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Boat Dummies - Stay or Go?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »
I have a wide selection in the office.  I will get one back in again.  I am not sure what happened to the old one. 

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »
Yes, that was a good addition when giving tours, I thought it put people back in the time period.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
I have a big band CD that I am now keeping in my maintenance locker on board the boat, if you want to use that one, too.

Back to the dummies, Rick do you want the crew to remove the dummies from the boat while we are there over Memorial weekend - I noticed that "Bud" has already been removed?  Also, we can use the muscle to move to bunks around that interfere with the doors.  These are projects that we can do after hours and probably near sunset when outside work has ceased.  I'm guessing that you'll be working us like Hebrew slaves under the Egyptian whip as long as the sun is up. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
That reminds me,  I need 4 of you to carry me around in my gold plated chair. ;D

If we are going ot work on the interiors I would like to see the following...

The Goats Locker needs to be chanted into a Goats Locker.  This area is geared to be a Sick bay,  but that is not right. 

remove the dummie in the Galley. 

Fix up the beds in the crews Quarters will be a good idea.  I do need to go through this entire room and strip all the bunks out and shor them up properly for future Sleep overs.  I am saving thsi project for the Creek Crew kids...

I do not mind the maniquines in the boat.  The other boats have provided feed back that the maniquines are usefule in demonstrating life on the sub.  We do need to meke them less creepy thoug.   I am also planning on placeing one in one of the engine rooms.  Tom Speers (former Machinest Mate) donated his old Dungarees to the museum.  They are a real eye opener....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »
I agree that the Goat Locker needs to be converted back as such. 

Definitely get rid of the galley dummy.  He catches me off guard every time. 

The sleeping officer in the jr. officer quarters is fine.  Only one or two of use will be in there at any given time.  I might move him down to the lowest bunk, if that's okay with you.  it's easier for us to get into the higher bunks and the light fixture is broken on the lowest one, anyway.

It would be cool to have some dummies that look like they are working.  The engine rooms are big enough that we could stash one of them in one of the corners and still have free access - same with the torpedo rooms.  Fire marshal would frown if they were in the way, anyway.  One below decks would be nice, too, but they would need to be positioned below one of the few deck plates that have holes in them.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »
It would be cool to have some dummies that look like they are working.

Come out on a volunteer weekend   :2funny:   ;D   :P
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »
That will work.  I am looking for more dummies.  I have a ligit. uniform worn by Tom Speers as a Machinist Mate on the boat.  It is ragged.   I would like that displayed in the engine room....