Author Topic: Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!  (Read 59044 times)

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Lance aka snakeyez!
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
Yes, I know Tim is under the big "C" at the moment. Besides polishing and painting, Tim and I talk of his problem and other things. I was going through a few things medically when Tim found out so we compare notes.   But, the situation does not seem to dampen his spirits.  I would like to get one engine rolling.  Tim said the sound is the sweetest you will ever hear.  Now that is a true engine man!!!!  One other thing we have to look at is the intake up in the sail. Rusted to death. Perhaps just open a interior intake pipe and open the hatch for air flow. As far as water to cool, perhaps a intake and discharge hose routed off the pump and routed through the hatch. Let's face it, we can get a engine free wheeling in her mounts, it will not be pushing the boat anywhere...heck one prop is up in Philadelphia. As far as the electric motors below maneuvering, the brushes are off on both of the them. Oddly enough, these are brand new brushes.  So, just having the engine idle is what we should shoot for. I strongly believe that is with in reach.  But, you know us kids, get it idling and then you want to throttle it up to hear the 1600 horses at work!!!!   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:02:36 AM by AVGWarhawk »
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »
Once you have it running are there any plans to let the generator run anything electrical on the boat?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2008, 10:22:06 AM »
One thing at a time! 
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »
You can always dream.   :D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »
While it would be nice to be able to run the diesels again and put a load back on them to get them working we haven't had our batteries onboard in nearly 40 years so that is a NO go on running DC operated equipment with the diesel powering them. One day we will have the diesel running and yes they are the sweetest sound you can hear and feel, IF you want to hear the Pampanito's go to the HNSA website and download the audio version along with ALL of her other gear powering up and working.  Chief Mike and Dave have gone through most of the wiring and they have most of the bugs out of the wiring now so the big need is for a dedicated group to start working on the diesel again.