Author Topic: What's unique about your favorite submarine museum?  (Read 30541 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: What's unique about your favorite submarine museum?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
Regarding DRUM's conning tower... the fairwater (superstructure surrounding the CT pressure vessel) is typical GATO Connestoga wagon (three frames supporting shears)... maybe the pressure vessel is BALAO, but what surrounds it is standard GATO.  I remember hearing something about replacing her CT, but I can't remember what was said (hey, I'm 50 and losing it!!!).

It's also the "shoe submarine" (story to be told at a later date).  Just couldn't help but play games with former director Frank Dengler!

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »
Regarding DRUM's conning tower... the fairwater (superstructure surrounding the CT pressure vessel) is typical GATO Connestoga wagon (three frames supporting shears)... maybe the pressure vessel is BALAO, but what surrounds it is standard GATO.  I remember hearing something about replacing her CT, but I can't remember what was said (hey, I'm 50 and losing it!!!).

It's also the "shoe submarine" (story to be told at a later date).  Just couldn't help but play games with former director Frank Dengler!

Paul

I just recall something leaking so badly they couldn't dive (or dive deep) and even after welding on it they couldn't stop the leaking.  So the tower was replaced.

This is something I didn't know.  Apparently the old conning tower off of the USS Drum is at Great Lakes Naval and Memorial Museum near the USS Silversides??

http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/004823.html   Scroll down the page and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31:01 PM »

The Razorback is the latest submarine to be added to the museum subs inventory.
She has the distinction of having the most years in service among all the museum subs around the world.
Only one sub (still in commission) has longer service.  Can anyone name that sub?

Based on the transfer of "the cribbage board", I would have to say that the USS Los Angeles has the longest service of the boats still in commission.  http://www.csp.navy.mil/news/rel070511.html

"OUR" submarine here in Portland, OR; is the U.S.S. Blueback (SS 581).  One of the things that make her unique is that she was the last diesel boat to be put in commission.  Of her class the U.S.S. Barbel (SS 580) and U.S.S. Bonefish (SS 582) were both put in commission before her.    She is also one of the first class of submarine to use teardrop or "albacore" hull.  Blueback served in commission for 31 years!

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »
The door frame at the aft end of the coning tower was cracked and it flooded the tower. Pearl harbor tryed to repair but the tower buckled on test dive so they had to go to Mare Island to get the new one. The deck support frames maybe Gato but the periscope shears and support is Balao.
Tom Bowser

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »
Regarding the Drum "conning tower" at the Silversides: That is a replica built by the folks at the Alabama battleship memorial, not the original. The Silversides folks acquired it around 1997-98.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 01:08:56 AM »
So where is the original one? Did they just scrap it?
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 09:40:38 AM »
Most likely as it was remove in 1943 and they had no reason to save it. Also at the time they were changing out most of the conning towers and getting rid of the door in the aft end.
Tom Bowser

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Mine should be obvious.  In addition to Travis' post.  I have to add,  where else are you going to find a submarine that was all but forcibly hauled up a river as far as she would go by a group or old sub vets and planted in the middle of a bean field.   LOL

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »
You are correct there Rick.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
DRUM conning tower redux:
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
Without specific information from the shipyard about how bad the damage to DRUM's conning tower was and how it was fixed,  I will say that when orders came down to remove the aft doors on the conning towers of the early Gato CTs (COD was built without one) the Navy simply had their aft ends cut off (think circumcision) and new solid caps welded in place. The caps were also dishd outwards instead of the pervious inward dishing, to provide badly needed interior room. The shears on DRUM, from my photos, are GATO. BALAO boats don't have the connestoga wagon "shoulders" because the heavy plating on the scope shears is strong enough to be free standing. Given the vast amount of work needed to cut out a CT barrel and put in a new one with all of the cables, scopes, piping, etc., I would have to suggest that what DRUM got was a new CT end cap and not a complete new barrel. This is common among historic ships: tribal knowledge becomes gospel because nobody goes back far enough to know better and rumor, speculation, and someone's interpretation becomes fact. Like the CT barrel at SILVERSIDES... someone saw it at BB ALABAMA and assumed it was from DRUM?  DRUM came to AL from DC where it was a dockside trainer... any pieces parts from WWII would have been scapped loooong ago.

For the sake of DRUM history, I would like to really dig to the bottom of the CT issue Tom.
What specifically can you cite regarding a full replacement?

Thanks!
PF

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 07:55:40 PM »
How about the machinery history records, or do you think they are wrong also. and you need to study the differences in shears more.
Tom

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »
I'd check the introductory paragraphs or pages of the war patrol report for the patrol immediately following the Mare Island overhaul. Every war patrol report usually starts off discussing what modifications were made to the boat.

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
Already done that but I didn't think Paul would believe that either.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
Also I forgot to add statements from the crew members that were on the boat when the conning tower was cracked and rode the boat to the shipyard and after including the 4th skipper who made 11 patrols on the Drum and retired as a rear admiral. Of course all we have to do is drill a hole thru it and measure the thickness.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Well, I asked what evidence you had, and you provided it... and then sum?
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 01:40:56 AM »
Tom:

I wasn't calling you a liar -- rather I wanted to know what you had as evidence. (I am rarely considered a Doubting Thomas, but I have been fooled a few times)... The Gato-like shoulders threw me off... but after inspecting lots of photos of DRUM's upper shears, I have to admit, they sure don't look like the ones on SILVERSIDES or other early GATOs and do look a heck of a lot like the upper portions of a BALAO shear. But why didn't they (Mare Island) just do the whole thing as a new conning tower? It would seem easier, faster, and cheaper.

In the 32 years I've been involved with COD, I have heard lots of WASes (Wild Ass Stories) regarding COD and many other ships... and without knowing much about you youngsters (or newhands), I needed to hear about how you arrived at your conculsions... which in this case sounds pretty convincing I'll admit.
Now put down that deck wrench and let's go have a drink of Pink Lady and I'll tell you about the vegetable locker that was built into DRUM's sail for watch standers to feed from (no kidding!)...

Paul
 :uglystupid2: