Author Topic: Floursecent Fixtures  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Floursecent Fixtures
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
Rick,

With your permission, there are three floursescent light fixtures up in the CT that I would like to remove and replace with standard light fixtures over Memorial weekend.  Two of them plug into a receptacle on the ceiling above the TDC, which I never noticed before.  The third one is currently disconnected (above the WCA sound stack), but the wires can be tied into the light fixture above the helm up there - that one needs to be secured, anyway, since the Navy didn't like seeing loose wires hanging around. 

When you get a chance, take a look at the existing incandescent fixture above the helm and let me know what I need to buy from Lowe's (or what you would recommend).  Maybe we can get a new socket for the busted fixture in the back of the CT and get it working, again, too.  This will greatly improve the lighting up there in both day and night conditions.

I am keeping an eye out for the rounded industrial lamp shades that are similar to the existing ones on the boat (hunter green on the outside and white on the inside).  Taking apart the one in the aft CT will give me a better idea of what to look for. 

Overall, this is a very simple project that would take me an hour at most to complete.  Just to make you feel more comfortable, I have wired up receptacles, switches, lamps, and ceiling fans before and I've never needed CPR. :)  I'm not a licensed electrician, but light fixtures are no-brainers, since there are only two wires to work with.  What helps even more is that none of these are three-way connections with the two separate wall switches.

My idea is to try to be down on the boat some time in the afternoon that Friday before most of the crew gets there and hammer this out.  Let me know your thoughts (and anyone else's).

Regards,
Mark S.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Floursecent Fixtures
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
I have been doing some digging into the green porcelain enamel light fixtures on the boat and they may have been a post-war addition.  Some forums that I visited gave me the impression that the style shades that we have are late 40's or early 50's vintage - 1930 and early 1940 light shades seemed to lack the bent lip at the bottom.  Before I came to know and love the Batfish, it was always my impression that lights on a 1940's sub either had the metal cage around them, a glass globe (as some still do), or were just a socket with an exposed bulb.  The shades were probably part of the early 1950's refit when the boat was recommissioned.  The flourescent lights were probably added in the late 50's or early 60's.

So, I'm leaning toward just replacing the flourescent fixtures with a basic light socket or if we want to be really adventurous, install glass globe fixtures.  Either way, we'll want to remove the lamp shades - but keep their sockets.  This would be an easy conversion.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »
Okay.  Just ignore my digging.  I need to remember to check photo archives before making anymore "educated guesses."  Several archive photos show the lamp shades in use during the war.  So, we need to keep these items.  I'll continue to watch ebay for more.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »
Keep in mind the the light bulb issue that we have.  The conversion to the new floresents will need to be incorporated to what we do.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:49:45 AM »
We'll always be able to buy them from China, Mexico, and any other third-world nation.  If Gil can get us a large stockpile, we'll be set for years.  Plus, there's always the screw-in floursecent bulbs that work in a standard socket.  They would still look better in an enamel fixture than those ugly, boxy ones from the 60's.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor