Author Topic: Light-weight mock torpedoes  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Light-weight mock torpedoes
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as mock display torpedoes - not de-milled torpedoes?  It would be nice to use them for the reenacting crew to load (and easily unload) the torpedo tubes for events.  If I had the tools and time, I would make circular formers for structural members and then cover them with thin, flexible balsa wood.  Paint and polyurethane would keep them in pretty good shape.  The nose and tail would take a little work to replicate.  Another idea would be to make them from composites. Very light-weight and very strong.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Light-weight mock torpedoes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:08 AM »
The prop department at FOX pictures has lots of mock Mark 48s from the movie DOWN PERICOPE... but they don't sell them.

You could talk to cratsmen who work in fiberglass... make a mold of the ends of a fish and go from there. You're right in that fish are just 21-in. diam. tubes with pointy and roundy ends.

PF
 :coolsmiley:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Light-weight mock torpedoes
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
One of our reenactors told me that someone had made CAD drawings for mock torpedoes a few years ago, but they never got around to fabricating them.  The idea was to use wooden supports/stgructures internally and a thin sheet metal skin.  I think the nose and tail cones would be excellent candidates for composite materials.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy