Author Topic: I've got questions, who has answers?  (Read 10258 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
I've got questions, who has answers?
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
1)  I'm trying to find out the status of the Soviet Juliett 484 (K-77/B-77):
http://www.hnsa.org/ships/u484.htm
http://www.juliett484.org/juliett/index.html
Is she being fixed up?  Will she be reopened to the public?

2)  Will the USS Dolphin for sure be with the San Diego Maritime Museum soon and open to the public?

3)  Will the Russian Foxtrot submarine there at San Diego Maritime Museum be affected in any way by this?

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Re: I've got questions, who has answers?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:01:44 PM »
Lance, I'll talk to Ken Johnson as he has some contact with those who are working on the Juliet 484.  Michael Bircumshaw might be a good contact about the Dolphin.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
Lance, I'll talk to Ken Johnson as he has some contact with those who are working on the Juliet 484.  Michael Bircumshaw might be a good contact about the Dolphin.
Viejo

I'll look them up and email them the first chance I get.  :)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
I have to dig out my email address for Frank Lennon at the Julliet.

But here is a very important contact for USS PAMPANITO:

Aaron Washington, ship's manager, USS PAMPANITO:   awashington@maritime.org
www.maritime.org

Tel:  415-775-1943

Good guy, saw him last in San Diego in Oct.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »
I know about Mr. Washington with the Pampanito.  I've sent him many, many emails with no response.  Maybe someone else could do better than I.

I was asking about the Dolphin and the B-39 at San Diego, not the Pampanito at San Francisco.   :crazy2:  Thanks for looking out for me though Paul.  hehe

The email address I have for Frank Lennon is russiansubmarine@aol.com.  I emailed him a few days ago and haven't heard back yet.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
Just heard back from Michael Bircumshaw and he said something more definite should be known sometime tomorrow about the Dolphin.  I'd say things are looking very good for her becoming the newest edition to San Diego Maritime Museum.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 12:16:02 AM »
If someone can find the contact info for the Russian boat post it and I will try and talk to them. That is a boat I really want to see.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »
Here is the contact info I have for the FOXTROT in Long Beach, next the the Queen Mary... it is in FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR Better Shape than its poor step-brother in San Diego.  But that is not saying much... the Soviets built their subs with a big hammer, and lots of rocks...  Funny, Stanley has no Email URL on the card! He has a former Soviet submarine officer on staff (this is the guy we need to talk to!!!).

Stanley Pearlman, VP, Newco PTY Ltd., LLC
1900 E. Ocean Blvd., #809
Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel: 562-432-4082
Fax: 562-436-3171

I woner why Aaron is not responding? 

Fact is, Russ Booth, the father of Submarine Restoration!!! (died on Father's Day 1997), would LOVE THE CRAP out of this BBS!!!!  I am sure he is reading it now on Heaven.com.pearlygates.god

PF :angel:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
I made contact with Stan Pearlman, Vice President and General Manager at the B-427.  He told me that he'd be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have.  His email address is:

russianscorpionb427@verizon.net

That's the Russian sub in Long Beach, CA.  Stan was very quick in his reply, seems like a nice fella.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »
Update on the status of the Russian K-77 Juliett 484:

MEDIA ADVISORY

June 2, 2008

Military Training Mission Begins on Sunken Russian Submarine

PROVIDENCE, RI: U. S. Navy salvage divers from Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit TWO in Norfolk, VA. began arriving this week to prepare for training salvage operations on the sunken Russian submarine K-77, also known as Juliett 484. U. S. Army divers and Naval reserve units will also participate in the mission.

Last summer, Army and Navy divers conducted underwater surveys to determine how to safely recover K-77 from the Providence River.  The former Soviet cruise missile submarine sank at its mooring here during a heavy storm on April 17, 2007.

The Department of Defense divers, augmented by the crew of a Navy Landing Craft (Utility), known as an LCU, will participate in the project as part of the DoD’s Innovative Readiness Training program.  Through IRT, military divers and the LCU crew receive training by taking part in real-world, community-based projects.  IRT and civil-military projects improve military readiness and help rebuild America.  These programs leverage training opportunities and save taxpayer dollars.

Although the site is secured, media will be offered scheduled opportunities to cover the project; talk to Army and Navy participants; and interview representatives from the Russian Sub Museum.  More information will be provided separately regarding media access.

For information on the IRT or the Department of Defense involvement in this project, contact:

CDR Dan Shultz

(757) 644-8782

daniel.shultz@navy.mil

For information on the Russian Sub Museum/ Juliett 484 submarine, contact:

Frank Lennon, President

(401) 831-8696

Frankl69@aol.com

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »
It sank!?  :'( I hope they raise it.....I have to go see it.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »
It sank!?  :'( I hope they raise it.....I have to go see it.

I'm trying to get you more info on the current status of it.  You can see pictures from April here:

http://www.oakhamgraphics.com/K-77/sinking.html

This is the only Russian sub on the east coast.  If you are on the west coast, you can see one in San Diego and one in Long Beach CA.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:50 PM »
IF you monitor RONTINI's bbs you will get your updates on the K-77.. Currently the navy and the army dive teams are on site and starting to set up equipment, from what the reports have shown is that she is covered inside with marine growth and that Ken Johnson is having some troubles in making stuff out because of the marine growth... Little information on Ken Johnson, he left the Navy in the early to mid 60's as a LT and his first boat was the USS Sea Owl (SS 405) With my uncle Ed and the boat after the Sea Owl he was the ENG on it before he got out.

He BTW is ALSO a Torsk volunteer (2 years running now) and he also had the last duty officer shift the night before she sank, in his defense he did EVERYTHING that he could in making sure that she was secured the night before he left and when he found out that she was taking on water he dropped everything and went back and was PREVENTED by the Coast Guard to go back on to close all of the water tight doors and make sure that all of the vent flaps were secured, because she had taken on a bad list to port but not yet underwater half way. IF I remember correctly his website is www.oakhamgraphics.com and he constantly posts about K-77 as he gets them and he describes the sinking of K-77 in detail because he watched her sink.