Author Topic: 12" Wall Fan Arrived  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
12" Wall Fan Arrived
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
The Navy wall fan that I won on eBay FINALLY arrived on Saturday.  The wiring needs to be replaced, but the motor runs well. Still has the original 2-speed switch and knob on it.  I bought a replacement cord at Lowe's and I'd like to get it rewired before I come down to the boat this Saturday, but I'm not going to kill myself.  It needs to be cleaned up and I want to take my time with it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: 12" Wall Fan Arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:47:47 PM »
I finally got some 22 gauge, cloth-covered guitar wire for the fan restoration project.  It's a little thinner without the asbestos lining inside.  I hope to get her reassembled and running by the end of this week.

As I have been searching for mounting locations through-out the boat, I have noticed that the mounts are in some rooms and not in others.  It's possible that the Navy may have removed fans and mounts over time as the A/C units and circulation improved with time.  I do not see any mounts for the fans in the crew's mess, anymore, but the ward room has at least one.  So, I'm debating either mounting it in that location or in the CT.  The latter probably needing a small clamp to assist in holding it in place.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
I'm a week behind schedule, but I'm 99% finished with the fan.  I have to buy a new soldering iron and then I'll finish the last two wire connections that need to be soldered.  I will buy slotted round-head bolts and mount the fan in the ward room this Saturday as well as connecting the collision alarm to the contactor switch.  I will bring similar bolts for the three contactor switches, since some of them are hanging by their wires.  These are my main work goals for this weekend.

I may try to dismantle the broken light fixture in the aft CT, as well.  It's a little tricky getting to the screw heads.  I'll probably need to purchase a new tool to get at them - screw drivers and sockets won't work.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
Mission accomplished.  I was surprised that there weren't any electrical outlets in the ward room.  So, I used a socket adapter in a hallway light that was nearby.  I also polished up the paint with a little 3-in-1 Oil and a rag after I took the photo to give the fan a new look and correct some of the minor rust spots.

BEFORE...

and AFTER...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
Looks good! 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
Thanks.  Feel free to use these photos for the conference.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor