Author Topic: For those who don't know,  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
For those who don't know,
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »
I am not an official representative of the Torsk Volunteer Association (TVA) nor am I an official representitive for the Baltimore Maritime Museum (BMM). I post here about Torsk because she is the only WWII boat that I have tried to help restore. IF I have mislead any of you to believe that I represent either BMM or TVA I do apologize for that. While I have been apart of TVA I have done numerous strip ships and I have done 4 work weekends and hopefully I will be able to make it there for my 5th this year.

The one big reason that I post here is to try to help you guys that are starting to walk down the same road I have and fought to get into a "dead fleet" and then have to deal with the political bs that runs with some of the stuff that we do to get our boats restored, and secondly I have had the luxury of being in a good volunteer association that has helped me learn everytime that I have needed to be "schooled" on the ways of a Tench Class boat and I want to try to pass along some of that knowledge if possible.

NO ONE has made me post this, I just wanted it to be clear that I am only a volunteer on the Torsk and not a Representative for her or her "owner".

Paul Farace on the other hand is the Offical Representitive for the USS Cod and well deserved and others are starting to take over the museums that are barely saveable now and working their arses off to try to restore them before it is way too late. I can only hope that with a lot of blood sweat and tears (yes tears) that you all will be successful in your dreams of making your boats live again once more. While I can't ask you to play the lottery or hope for a "sugar daddy" you might want to think about the lottery a dollar here and there and hope that you can hit it so you can put your hard earned money into her and do her right, because there are MANY of us who have prayed for a "sugar daddy" and we are still waiting for one to show up.

Darrin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: For those who don't know,
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
Never thought your were the official spokesperson for TORSK... and thanks for saying I am the offical spokesperson for COD... but that is only partly correct... I am the curator, so I am the spokesperson for things curatorial --  (and my boss has often referred to me as his exec, but not lately   :-X  ) Now my boss is the offical spokesperson for everything... 

In fact none of us is the top banana... even Russ Booth, the George Washington of sub restoration, had a boss!

I think we all speak for ourselves on this BBS, unless otherwise stated...

:knuppel2:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »
Ahh don't worry Darrin, I didn't mean to sound misleading on my post over on Rontini's BBS.  Instead of saying "Darrin of the Torsk" I guess I should have said "Darrin who volunteers with the Torsk", which is what I was saying mentally.

The point I was trying to get across was that there are good people here like you Darrin, and Paul Farace, among others who know the how-tos on the ways of getting things done.  I'm just here to learn and invite more people.  I don't know anything really and I don't try to convey that I know anything about something I don't, without disclaiming it at least.  :)

In fact, of all the posters here, I'm probably the LEAST knowledgeable person here.   This website was the only way I could think of to do something to help the museum boats.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »
Thanks Lance and Paul, you guys rock.

Remember when the boats get you down that you have to pull yourself back up by the boot straps and get back to work because in some cases you are the only one(s) trying to bring your individual submarine museums back to life and without your hard work and dedication to your boat they will slowly rot away until they are finally towed away or scraped in place and no one wants to see that happen.