General Boards > Museum Submarine Discussion

Where money in USSVI is going. Not to Museum boats!!!

(1/8) > >>

Viejo:
I recently saw a 60 day chart of money coming in to USSVI for the different parts of our Charitable Fund.  I won't copy it all here, but those of you who are associated with base/chapters in USSVI, might want to alert other members about what is a long term trend and getting worse of giving almost all money to scholarships, so some granddaughter of a member can have a few bucks for college. Here is the url. Anyone can read on this Base Officers BBS and most anyone that wanted to post and was a member of USSVI could probably be allowed to. What makes it even worse is that USSVI is in the process of going after some big bucks from people and the greatest majority of that will be going to the scholarship fund. Right now about $50,000 every year comes in for scholarships. Less than $500 for Museum Boats and Memorials and most of that goes to Memorials. You guys that are members of USSVI need to encourage your base officers to read and post here. And convince them to say something about this.
Here is the url
Bill    :'(
http://www.baseofficerbb.us/BBS/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=632&posts=5

Lance Dean:
 :o

Stickied this topic.

I really have no authority to even speak on this subject, but I agree with you 100% Bill.  The scholarship fund was always a HUGE priority for the USSVWWII, maybe that is why it's so big in the USSVI today?  I think with some awareness the priority could be shifted easily.  It is all about majority rules.

Thanks Bill. 

Paul Farace:
Wow, $50K a year?  That would provide two boats with some big help... or one boat could get painted and sandblasted over an 18-month period... etc., etc. It might also provide shipping for 7-ton guns, paint, new decking materials, replication of builder's plaques (had to get my own idea in), fabrication of bunks, bunk bags, etc., etc., etc., (God, I love "The King and I"  --  but you know, the SVWWII never did anything with real benefit to the memorial boats, and so far, USSVI hasn't either. I will not hold my breath over this issue.

But someone should go to the annual meeting and make a request for a straw pole!

:-X
PF

Rick:
I shouldn't say this,  but I am in a contancarous mood today and will. 

It seems to me that most of the old sub vets got these subs for their own personal play grounds.   They had this big idea that the would be able to take an old boat and plop id down somewere and the masses would pay hand over fist to come and see it and the various sub org's would make loads of money so they can continue to have their conventions and what not. However as time moved on and the sub vets started to disapear the the club houses became just what they were.  An exclusive club for a dwindiling membership left to be neglected for all time.   

Whit that siad.  The subvets did give us a wonderful treasure that everyone should share.   There is interest out there and these places can be real money makers.   We (subvets and care takers) all have to realize that times are changing.   People are not so quick to join exclusive fraternities andymore.  Most people in their 30's do not have the time and money to be running all over the country just to hang out wiht Joe Smith that served on my boat back the same I did.   Though this is nice,  times are hard and we cannot afford these luxuries. 

The long and the short of it is that the USSVI needs to decide if the subs are what they really want to invest in.  If not get out and leave us (the care takers alone).  If they do want to be involved start putting up some effort (money, time, materials) and lets us (the care takers) make these things fly.   

This is just one mans oppinion and I do not mean to disrespect our subvets.  I cannot thank them enough for what they did.  This goes for the past and the present sub vets both.  I have full intentions of attending the convention in Fort Worth this year.  We (the boats) have an open invite to help with the submarine museums booth.  I think we all need to take part.  If we want to the USSVI to start taking us seriously we need to do this and make it an every year deal. 

Thank you for listening.
If you agree feel free to contact me Rick Dennis....

If you do not agree.  Lance Dean will be happy to take your complaints..... ;D

Paul Farace:
Yea, one of the hardest things to deal with in this business is the fact that the submarine veterans are my heroes. But sometimes you have to ask them to put a sock in it and get out of the way.   :-*    -- so that we can do our job and make sure the memorial boats tell their story!  Kinda ironic, to say the least.

As an organization, the USSVI, IMHO, needs to decide once and for all if they want to benefit the memorial boats in a significant way, or clam-up and play at being sub vets -- status quo. Until that happens, my snappiest salute will be to Tin Can Sailors Association, then to DESA (a distant second).

Going deeeeeep!

PF

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version