Author Topic: Constructive advice wanted  (Read 2684 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Constructive advice wanted
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
I am in the process of drawing up each attack of the Batfish.  I have the 3 attacks from her first patrol finished (all happened on one eveing/morning).  I have posted the image at the link below and would appreciate comments on how it looks and the message it gives.  Now, these are only meant to be generalized maps and used in conjunction while reading the patrol reports.  Therefore there are no individual ships or torpedo tracks...and by neccessity I didn't put every thing on it.

I want to make it informative without overkill.  Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.ussbatfish.com/Maps/Batfish_Patrol_1_1.pdf
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Constructive advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
MarkA
I am trying to pinpoint each of the kiss on a Pacific map posted in the museum.  Have you come across Log and Lat for each kill in the logs.  I am sure that they are there, but I have not had the resorces to track this down yet.   Any help woudl be appreciated.

Rick

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
This looks great.  The only suggestion I would make is to put a legen defining what the various lines are (red, blue, yellow, solid vs dotted).  Just a thought.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
Have you come across Log and Lat for each kill in the logs.

If you will look at each patrol report on the website, and scroll down past the narrative, there will be a section on "Attacks".

Each attack will have the Lat and Long. of the attack.

I was thinking about putting them on the map...but then it starts to get cluttered...and my goal was/is to give a basic visual to enhance the reading of the patrol report.  It's not my intention to replace the reports.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
This looks great.  The only suggestion I would make is to put a legen defining what the various lines are (red, blue, yellow, solid vs dotted).  Just a thought.

Good idea.  I may make a general location for that...some maps may allow extra stuff like that, some won't.  To keep consistency, I may just put everything about the maps in one place and define it there.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:32:56 PM »
Nice work, Mark.  I gave you a BZ. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy