Author Topic: July 4th  (Read 12612 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
July 4th
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »
Hey Rick, is the only thing at the park this year going to be the submarine regatta?
I will most likely be up

John will you be up?
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
Re: July 4th
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:02:38 AM »
You bet I will be there! I want to see these subs in person, maybe....try to drive one. Trying to talk the female into coming our and hanging out, but not sure if she can handle all day out there. She gets tired really easy with the wee one in her and all. lol

I am also anxious to fill up the pond. When are we doing that Rick?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
Pond fillage begins today.  I have located a 2" pump.  and will be getting it on my run as soon as everyone is in.   

Travis call me and we can go over dates. 

Rick

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
The pond looked like it was pumping ok, but Rick is going to check it in the morning and then we can go from there. I sure hope the weather is decent that day. When you gonna come out and hang out Travis?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »
OK... Plans A and B did not work.  We di however enlist the help of the Muskogee Fire Department.   They are here wiht the pump trucks helping out.

rick

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »
I will try to be out there tomorrow, Rick will we be giving guided tours like we did last year? I really enjoyed doing that.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:18:50 PM »
From what Rick said today you, me, Rick (when he gets there) and Joseph will be doing the tours. I think it's one like every 15 min or the like. We should do pretty well and no one will be pressured all that bad.

Oh and wait till you see the subs. I get a peek at a 8 1/2 ft long Type 7 C (German) and wow! It was awesome. The torpedos awesome looking at got to see how they worked.

Tomorrow will be alot of fun if us indian workers can strop dancing and control this rain.  :2funny:

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »
The remote control subs actually have torpedos? that would be cool to see. I was thinking about wearing a navy sailors uniform I had just to show people what the uniform looked like, but I figured people would mistake me for an actual sailor, that and after reading another I book I found out that the sub sailors didnt actually wear regulation clothing onbard. Here is a quote from the book "The Depths Of Courage" by Flint Whitlock and Ron Smith An actual WWII SubVet says "In place of regulation uniforms [the crew] had on an assortment of hawaiian print swim trunks, cut off shorts, sandals, sheathed deck knives, and submarine jackets. They wore beards, mohawks and colored rags tied around their heads, arms, and necks. They looked more like Barbary Coast pirates than a group of elite U.S. Navy Submariners."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »
Someone PLEASE get pics of these remote controlled subs in action!

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
Two words: Today ROCKED

I too hope someone got some pics of the subs up. Those were so awesome. Watching them dive, ah....and to top it off we had a great crowd.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
I have a few of them in their static displays (out of water).  I hope to get some more today.   The SubRon5 Guys promised me that they willl send some of theirs our directions.  I hope to the one of the German Type VIIC in the water.  This was the biggets boat ou today at 8 1/2 feet long.   She was still outmatched by the Batfish though....... ;D

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
Ya the 7c was awesome. I still liked some of the smaller nuke boats. The guys with the planes that showed up had some awesome ones too.

I can't wait to see some of the pics from the SubRon5 guys.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
It was nice seeing the RC folks there.  I would have stuck around much longer if I didn't have the wife and kid units in tow.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
Hey, somebody please share your pictures of the July 4th event at the Batfish.  I really wanna see these remote controlled subs.  :)  They sound really cool.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
I have some on our camera,  but my media reader is OOC.   No ETA of repair.   I am also waiting for pic's from the SubRon Guys .