Author Topic: Drum progress  (Read 280864 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Drum progress
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2009, 09:23:52 AM »
I think our outer doors are hydraulic, but the shutter doors are probably mechanical.  I'm guessing at that, though.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
The Muzzle door is hydraulicly operated (and can be manually operated) and the shutter doors operate by using linkage attached to the Muzzle door.

Here is da link from the fleet submarine manual... Now had we only finished the tubes block on the School of the boat ;)

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/tubes/chap3.htm#3D

I hope that this helps you out

Darrin

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
Instead of restoring the whole hydraulic system how about isolated the part needed operated (muzzle doors) and hook up a small inexpensive hydraulic pump to just that one thing. Having most of the stuff still manual does make it easy at times.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »
That is a good option.  There is plenty of space in the FTR to hide a hydraulic pump. ATR would require some creativity.  Maybe put it in one of the forward closets and run the line behind the lower wall lockers.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »
Under the deck just fwd of the tubes.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
I don't think we have any deck panels in our ATR. I think it's a solid floor.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »
Should have them between the tubes and just forward of the tubes. I may be wrong though the Batfish is newer and may be different.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
Ok guys, here is a photo of the lady with primer on her rear (stern that is), I am talking about the Drum of course. We hope to finish sand blasting the stbd side this comeing week and will move to the port side. The batle of the rust continues.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2009, 11:48:46 PM »
Nice work, Tom.  One of these days we'll get Batfish in the same direction.  At least the deck is coming along.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »
I hadn't realized it has been a month since last update. We have completed sand blasting strd except  for the bottom and have started on the port. We are out of man lift time, out of sand and out of money so we are back to being metal workers and are working on the bow. We took off the #6 shutter door to get into the bow and as you can see it is full of mud, sand and clay and of course rust. I spent a whole day in the chain lockers on a bosun's chair I made, knocking rust off with a sledge hammer and most of the walls of the chain lockers also. It is going to be a real challange to rebuild the bow.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »
We have about finished cleaning out the bow and have started replacing the hull skin with 1/4" plate, it is a slow process due to having to find solid enough steel to attach to. We have to do it in small sections to get the curves right and maintain some strength. The indented areas at the forward end of the tube doors are really fun.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2009, 07:38:49 AM »
We are making progress on the bow. We will have to replace almost all of the hull on the starboard side bottom six feet and all of the structure inside for the bottom 10 feet, it is about gone. On the area forward of the tube doors we are having to use small pieces of 1/4" plate to be able to shape it with the multiple bends reguired. We are trying to return it to as original as possible. We are also having to do the sides in small sections to retain some strength. It is amazing how strong some of the rusted metal is.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »
God bless you guys.  You really have your work cut out for you.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »
We are making slow but steady progress. It has turned cold now so I don't  know how much longer we will work outside. Last weekend we had another movie on board, it is just a short film for film festivals and we only had to work two nights. The neat part of this one is they portrayed the Drum as the German u-boat carry uranium to Japan, the boat the USS Seaviper was after.

We are getting more creative in metal bending, we run over pieces with the fork lift to get initial bends in it.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2009, 03:04:51 PM »
"...we run over pieces with the fork lift to get initial bends in it"

That's the creative juices of a submariner at work.   :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor