Author Topic: Marines and Submariners  (Read 7590 times)

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
Marines and Submariners
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:11:40 PM »
This will be my first attempt to post a message hope I can follow instructions.  I have been asked several times what My "Band of Brothers" is all about.  It is a small group of Marines, Submariners, and Corpsmen that I am, or have been associated with.  As you know Marines call each other "Brother"  We also call Corpsmen and Submariners "Brother" for very good reasons.  It is an honor they well deserve by me and all Marines.  My reply to the uninformed who say "the only Good Marine is a Submarine"  is please check out my "Band of Brothers Fraternity".  You will find their definition of Good is as follows:
A Good Marine Honors, Respects, and Associates with Submariners and Corpsmen.
A Good Submariner Honors, Respects, and Associates with Marines.
They also live my our Mottos "Brothers Forever",  "Pride Runs Deep", and "The Few The Proud".
I will also include a quote with this message that should help explain my reasons.
General Holland "Howlin Mad Smith" Smith USMC
"I have always been proud of the relationship between MARINES and SUBMARINERS.  A LINK exists between them, much more intimate than the prefix suggests and this link was FORGED in the heat of the Pacific War.  Submarines played an important role in amphibious undertakings.  The MARINES owe a large measure of success achieved in our aasault on the Japanese Empire to the SUBMARINE Force".  The LINK the General refers to was forged at the cost of many brave MARINES and SUBMARINERS.  It still exists today, and has beem REINFORCED many times since World WarII.          
Tom USMC

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
Re: Marines and Submariners
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »
More on Marines and Submariners:  There is a plaque on the wall of the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, home of the USS Cobia SS-245.  The plaque is from 150 Iwo Jima veterans of the 5th Marine Division giving thanks to the Submarine USS Cobia.  The plaque reads as follows:

To The Crew Of The Submarine USS Cobia

We the undersigned members of the Fifth Marine Division Association, survivors of Iwo Jima wish to commend you for your contribution to the battle for Iwo Jima.  Your action, which resulted in the sinking of a Japanese convoy of men and supplies headed for Iwo Jima to reinforce the garrison there, is greatly appreciated.  Under the assumption that some of us may still be alive due to your efforts is cause for us to thank you

Official Presentation of the plaque was made by several Marines from the 5th Division . The convoy referred to was a Japanese Tank Battalion,men and supplies.
Tom USMC

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
This a photo of the Iwo Jima Plaque.
Tom USMC

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
That is really cool KOEFV.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »
Lance:
Attached is a copy of your membership certificate in my "Band of Brothers" Group.  I will mail you an official signed copy along with a membership list.  We're not BIG but good.  Also it's free to anyone.  All I need is name, rank, boat, or anything that will fit in the box, and a mailing address.
K0EFV Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
Hey that's pretty spiffy there!  Thanks for the honor!