General Boards > Submarine Related Chatter

"The Fleet Type Submarine Manual"

(1/2) > >>

Lance Dean:
I was recently able to get this manual through a rewards program on my credit card of all things.  PeriscopeFilm.com has reproduced this 1946 US Navy manual that used the USS Perch (SS-313), a Balao class submarine, as a reference.

You can order this book from several sources, but direct from PeriscopeFilm.com at:

http://www.periscopefilm.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=31&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

It has a world of information.  Quoted from PeriscopeFilm.com:

--- Quote ---It contains numerous diagrams and photos and offers definitions of components and terminology. It provides technical descriptions of various machinery and systems such as ballast tanks, trim, ventilation and steering. It also contains a brief history of the submarine and a discussion of patrol routines.
--- End quote ---

This is not an endorsement, I just figured that you guys might be interested in this reference manual.

Travis McLain:
I got that one a while ago, I really like it. It is very informative. Anyone who wants to learn more should definately look into this, plus some of the DVD's they put out.

Darrin:
You can also view it online for free at www.hnsa.org  the manual there was scanned by Rich Pekelney of the Pamp and they also have really cool down loads if you want to hear the diesels running along with most of all of the gear on a WWII boat.

JTheotonio:
I have an original from 1946 (I've seen these selling for up to $600)

Rick:
We have one as well.  Unfortunately our has seen better days.  the book encountered something sticky and many pages are stuck together.    :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version