Linked Events

• Batfish Work Day: July 12, 2008

Author Topic: Batfish Work Day, Saturday July 12th  (Read 22525 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Work Day, Saturday July 12th
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
We have lots of deck pulled up or ready to pull up.  We have the fence behind the FTR entrance removed and ready to be replaced once the deck at the forward end is complete.   I will have the ROTC kids from Muskogee here Wed,  they will be truning lots of bolts.   IT goes well and will bet better as we move aftward and get this process down..

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
We got the port side pulled, well most of it anyway.  Got the majority of the bolt removed from the remaining deck. Roger, Mark S. and someone I can't remember his name got some more of the new deck put down.  Killed more WASP's.  Man was it hot.  Had 5 out working, Rick came out as he could.  Had a few no-shows.  Still, it was a good day and just about all the deck forward of the entrance has been removed or is just a few bolts shy of being removed.  Man it was hot.

Below are some photos...the first 3 are of the decking that was removed, the next is kind of a before show...and then your's truly removing nuts and trying to avoid the bogey's.  Man was it hot.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
Bravo Zulu to all those who busted their rumps in that heat over the weekend! Great work! I know the soul of the old girl (Batfish, that is) is smiling.

To deal with the heat, keep using the orange rubbermaid water coolers and bring more, filling them with ice water or gatorade and also check out one of those little misting fans attached to a spray bottle that you can find in places like Wal-Mart. Spray yourselves often. I'd even try a Camelbak.

I wonder if some of those yellow jacket traps might help lure the wasps away from you?

Again, my hat's off to you all!

Fred

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
Great work to all of you.  Thank you for sharing the pics Mark!

I've found that if you kill all the wasps you can find, consistently, then each summer you will see fewer and fewer wasps in that area.  I guess that makes sense though.  They are just pains that have to be dealt with.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »
A large fan on deck or actually below deck would be pretty handy.  Hardly any air gets down there.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »
Again, my thanks for all your help. 
This time of year is definately ah hot one.  I was not able to be out all day, but I have been recovering ever since from that heat.  Good news,  The AIR FORCE ROTC, have volunteered for a com service day on Wed.   They are going to be bolt turners for us.   There will be more deck going down on the next run.   

Rick

PS  I have been thinking of hanging a few of the wasp carcusas out as a warning for all of the other wasps that want to come by.     :uglystupid2:

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
Oooo ROTC guys. Can me and Joseph mess with them? :knuppel2: I mean nothing too bad....or grotesque. It is my old teachers though. Payback sucks....

Nah, those guys were awesome teachers. Some of the coolest and most under-appreciated at MHS.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
Rick,

If the ROTC guys get the boards at the starboard deck/stairwell area and IF we get about 6 people to show up for the next working party, we could get two crews to work on cutting and laying boards and they won't be in each other's way. This would be really great if we could get them out there once a month to rip boards up.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »
ROTC kids update.....

the bow is now open for new decking.   The kids made a good run on the Starbord side past the stair well.  We are looking at the first 10 ft clear.  There is a small amount of clean up to be done yet.  That can be taken care of in about 30 min....

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
Ya, Sgt. Forbes and Col. Kent and their students busted there bolts all day and got alot done. Laying the deck down will be easier and faster now. These guys all need BZ's for that.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »
Afirmative.   I talked to them just after ther left and they are intereseted in doing more.  These kids did a great job and are welcome to come back again.

Rick

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
The deck is look great guys.  She will look beautiful when done. 
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
So who is coming out on the 26th to work on the deck?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »
I'll be in K.C. that weekend, but I will be down to the boat tomorrow to work on other items.

Rick, we still need a temporary deck solution for the bridge for VJ Day.  Plywood would probably work.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »
MarkA
I will be here.   John and Joseph will be good help,  We just need to give them lots of instruction.   We can concentrate on laying down new wood at this point.   We are far enough ahead.   

MarkS
I willl need to talk ot the CO on the final details.  Last I heard was that we need to get a good head count.  I have been watching the BLHA emails and have seen several pepole atlk about their availability   i still do not have a head count....

Rick