Author Topic: Breaking and entering problems  (Read 29864 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Breaking and entering problems
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »
There have been numerous break-ins in my county and community over the last month.  I'm talking every day someone nearby has had their home broken into.

Other than the Castle Doctrine now in effect in Mississippi and my Remington 870 12 gauge, any other ideas on things to do to deter home break-ins?

:knuppel2:

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking and entering problems
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:10:24 PM »
Get video camera's set up on motion sensors.. Around your house and add motion sensor lights around your house to LIGHT up the area, while this may not deter the crook it will help in the ID of the idiots who have done this and put them in jail. I cannot say enough about home security and fortunatly for me I live on a military reservation so I don't have the "normal" problems associated with that but when I do move off post I am going to get an alarm system put in my home regardless of where I am at and make sure that I have the outside lite up like the 4th of july.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »
Good ideas.  I've thought many times about getting a video camera that can upload images to a website via FTP.  That way, even if the computer and camera are stolen, the photos will be saved remotely.

I have many outdoor lights that stay on all night long, as well as one motion sensor light.

The trouble is, I think every single one of the break-ins have occurred during the day.  It's odd timing, mostly when people are only away from the house for a hour or so.  It's got me nervous about going to work each day.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:40:38 AM »
Smith and Wesson works too.  :knuppel2:

Try getting an alarm system.  You can also get outdoor surveillance camera pretty cheap at Home Depot and other places.  Wireless ones are easy to set up and usually work with any TV – post them to watch all your doors, and garage.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »
Even a cheap ear-splitting alarm that attaches to doors would work.  I think that they start in the $15 - $20 range.  You can rig it to have a delay or go off instantly.  Do you have a garage and do you use it as a primary way to enter and leave?

I'm not surprised that they are thieving during the day.  Most thieves do not want anyone in a house when they rob it.  So, waiting for granny to go shopping or for the soccer mom to take the kids to swim class is an ideal time to "attack".  They're probably in and out in 15 minutes and if they pose as a lawn crew, painters, etc., they will blend in and look like they belong there.  Playing it cool goes a long way to causing mischief and getting away with it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
I am going to play doubting thomas here.  I worked as a dispatcher for a Sherrifs office for 4 years.  In that entire 4 years I never saw where a monitored alarm system was a help.  You pay your $30-40 a month to pay some guy to watch a monitor.  by the time this person receives an alarm, makes his checks and call the local PD and the PD gets there 10 minuts have already passed.  and if you live outside of a city municipality,  you are looking at 30 min or more.   By that time mose crooks have completed pilaging you house.   

Go by the old rule "make your neighbor look like a better targe".    Get to know your neighbors will.   Block watch is good, but do not get involved in a crime in process.  A loud alarm and lots of lights are a great idea as is a security camera system that is recorded.  Privacy fences are nice,  but provide shelter for the crooks to do their dirty dead.  Plane nasty thorney bushes under your windows.   Keep all the doors and windows locked.  Take pictures of all your valuables (tv, sterieos, submarines and family heirlooms) and store those off site  And did i mention get to know your neighbors and let them know what your are doing as well as what they are doing and what they are doing.   

The real sad truth to the whole crime problem is that once the dead is done there is very little you can do to catch the crook and prosecute.   Even if you catch him,  you are still out the money thet the little bastard took from you.   You are still left with the violation,  monetary loss and the mountains of paperwork trying to get what little the money grubbing insurance companies are willing to let go of.

The last bit of advise I can give you all is get to know the local PD.  It is always good to have a freind there.  Nuff Said on that part....

:police:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »
If all the break ins are occurring during the day it's most likely someone very local - kids come to mind.  What are they stealing? If it's electronics and things like that instead of jewelry and household items, I'd say it points to kids again.  Neighborhood kids don't raise a flag.  People are used to seeing them, so they can easily sneek around.  Some one for sure is watching these houses and as soon as someone leave - they are in and out.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »
there is a TV show on the Discovery Channel that comes on here in Newport News at 5PM it is called "it takes a thief" and they actually break into homes with the homeowners permission and they video tape all of the happenings and then show the families how they got in and why they were able to get in and then they do a "complete security upgrade" and it is quite informational IMHO as to securing your home and what you should have installed for security purposes.

Darrin

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
that is a good show.  Though it is not all encoumpasing as each security site has its own unique challenges.   On the good side, it does give real good ideas to help your situation out.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »
Good points all.  Here's the situation.  There have been at least 6 break-ins within 5 miles of here over the last 2 weeks.  That's only the ones that *I* know of.  The news isn't saying anything at all about these break-ins.  The sheriff has to cover the entire county from the county seat, located in the center of the county.  There is only one small city in the county that has their own police force, and it's tiny.  The rest of the county is covered by the sheriff and his handful of deputies.  The sheriff seems to be concentrating his deputies in my little community, as you can't go outside for over 20 minutes without seeing a deputy somewhere.  It seems that even with good visibility, it's not deterring these thieves.

The houses broken into have ranged from houses on a busy highway only yards from the highway to older houses on dirt roads to housetrailers.  ALL have been during the day.  At least 3 have been on the same road!  Items stole vary, making me wonder if there are at least 2 sets of thieves.  Some houses have had air conditioners and lawn mowers stolen, while others (most) have had guns, jewelery, computers, and gaming consoles stolen.  I know for sure that 2 of the houses the owners had just left the house and were gone just for an hour or two.  All of the houses were visible and have decent traffic going by all the time!

For the first time in my life, I'm in fear of leaving my home for it being broken into when I'm not here.  I have a good gun safe and everything I have is well documented off-site (serial numbers and such).  I have a 12 gauge and know how to use it well.  If I'm here and someone starts kicking in my door, they will be shot.  Charlie Ross implemented the "Castle Doctrine" in Mississippi which gives me the right to use DEADLY force to protect me, my home, AND my property including my vehicles down to my lawnmower.  No questions asked, no going to court.  It's a good law.  Mississippi isn't Texas, but we have gotten much better over the last few years.

Just this week a large, full size green van was spotted in our community with Alabama license plates.  It was filled with males of various races with a white young girl.  The van stopped at several of my neighbors' houses and the girl would get out, claiming to be selling Kirby vacuum cleaners.  The law was called out and with a call to Kirby Vacuum Cleaners it was discovered that no one was selling their vacuums in our area.  Once again it makes me wonder if their aren't multiple sets of thieves at work here.

I live in a housetrailer with no carport or garage.  I'd rather not even say on this forum any more than that.  Who knows who reads the posts here?  It's that bad.  I tell you, I'm about ready to put up a gate on my driveway or at least cut down a cedar tree and drag it across my driveway every time I leave home.  My wife wouldn't like that very much though!  :)  These thieves are everywhere and it's getting worse.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »
Sorry to get off topic of you post, but in Colorado their is a law like yours and it is called the "Make My Day" law, which states if anyone is on your property you can shoot them, and Oklahoma has a similar law not sure what its called though. I think everyone else has pretty much covered all the options for security, but you could always make home made explosives and set them up on a trip wire system, if you know how to make the explosives, lol.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
The problem with explosives is if someone's kid or animal sets it off and they get maimed or killed.  Now you have a lawsuit plus the BATFE busting your door down for making mines and explosive booby traps without a license.  The ATF nailed a guy for making dummy mortar rounds that went 'poof' when they hit the ground, because it was considered to be a "secondary explosive" - for WWII reenactments.  Those jack-booted thugs don't need much of a reason to come calling.

If you're in a trailer, then it's pretty obvious when someoen is or is not there.  Especially, if someone is canvassing the neighborhoods during working hours and keeping track of your where abouts.  The girl knocks on the doors to see if someone is home and she probably knocks on every door on the street to see whether there will be any witnesses or not.  Any empty street is a juicy target.  With a van-load of guys they probably are in and out like Delta Force.  One guy probably picks the lock and then signals when it's okay to enter.

I once had two or three young people canvassing my neighborhood selling Kirby's, but they were selling them at about 50% of retail.  They brought it in and showed my wife, but I said no.  $800 was too good of a deal for a $1400 or $1600 vacuum.  We bought one a year later for about $1100.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
I had eight 4"x6" flags in my front yard lining the sidewalk over the 4th weekend...and someone took all eight of them...right in the middle of the day.  Had to be kids but I've not seen any of them since.  It's bad when someone will steal an American flag.   :knuppel2:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
Sorry to get off topic of you post, but in Colorado their is a law like yours and it is called the "Make My Day" law, which states if anyone is on your property you can shoot them, and Oklahoma has a similar law not sure what its called though. I think everyone else has pretty much covered all the options for security, but you could always make home made explosives and set them up on a trip wire system, if you know how to make the explosives, lol.

That covers you from criminal law,  now there is that pesky little thing called civil law that states anyone can sue any one else for any reason.  And, depending on the Judge,  that individual sueing can win buku's money.     

Is it worth it?   Remember,  I come from AZ where you can ( and people do) wear a side arm walking down the streets........

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »
Maimed is never good enough, in my opnion.  If I draw a weapon for lethal use, lethal is what it's going to be.  That's one less person to sue you later on.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor