Author Topic: Batfish Sailor  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Batfish Sailor
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
The gentleman in the upper left in the below photo is WWII Submarine Veteran James T. Butterworth. Jim served on the 'Submarine Killer' USS Batfish (SS-310) on war patrols 4, 5, 6 and 7. That 6th war patrol entered the Batfish into submarine history sinking three enemy submarines and earning it the following Presidential Unit Citation:"For extraordinary heroism in action against enemy Japanese combatant forces during the sixth War Patrol in the South China Sea from December 30, 1944 to March 3, 1945. Persistent and aggressive in her search for vital targets, the USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines. By the destruction of these formidable and threatening hostile Fleet units in a single War Patrol, the Batfish contributed significantly to the successful completion of the war. The courage, superb seamanship and gallant fighting spirit of her officers and men reflect the highest credit upon herself and the United States Naval Services."
You guys probably already know this, but if you click on the picture, it gets a lot bigger.

Viejo
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:28:58 PM by Viejo »
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Batfish Sailor
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »
Who are the other fellas?

And that's one of those awesome BBQ grills that looks like a submarine in the background isn't it?

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »
They are all members of the Rhode Island WWII chapter. They weren't listed. Actually it is a base float they use or used for parades and is the 571, which I though was neat for WWII guys to make.  I'll attach a picture of the float.  Also the page I found it on. I figured some of the Batfish people might have heard of or would be interested in Jim Butterworth.  I have, and Pat has even more, a lot of pictures of floats that bases have made for parades. Some are pretty simple. Some are really elaborate. The best I have seen is the USS Tucson Float, made from a wing tank, but then they took it to a fiberglass shop and had a bow constructed to fit over it, to make it proportionally accurate, then we fitted planes, rudder, screw, sail, and masts on it. It actually looks like a model sub.
Viejo
http://lubbers-line.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:23:59 PM by Viejo »

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:26:00 AM »
If I remember right I think that guy is on a video we play at the museum. Looks awfully close.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »
I noticed that the 571 float has a deck gun.  Maybe it was a compromise between the two boat vets.  ;)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:05 PM »
It also has a three bladed screw.  From the comments I read, they just have fun with it and realize it isn't accurate, which is the way things should be for those type of activities.When Tucson Base was building their's, they had a half dozen guys who had the time to get together and they worked on it for several month and they also had money from some other organizations so they could pay to have the nice things worked out. Not all bases of course can put together all these factors, but most of them still have fun with their parades and functions. I am glad they could combine elements from new and old subs. Sounds like they can get along with some of us new guys. Some of the groups  have had problems that way.
Viejo

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »
If I remember correctly, I think he was a motor mac. He has a very good story about a a mine's chain dragging along the hull of the Batfish.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »
For my Crew, 

that is "butter' He was a machinest mate and he is on the video.  He usually comes down for the reunion evey year, but was not able to this year. 

Rick