Author Topic: Exterior renovations  (Read 58420 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Exterior renovations
« on: March 06, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
Just got done talking to Rick on the phone. He said the deck needs to be replaced first, as the Navy says it is a safety issue. I asked Rick about the 5" gun, I asked where it was coming from and he said they have one, (I hope he is not talking about the giant one right outside the museum) as it is not the submarine wet mount 5" gun. Also he said he is working with the Batfish foundation with the paint job, because he heard they have enough money for it, but he does not know what is going on in that department, as to why they have not given it to the museum. So there is an update, and a new topic to stop posting in the Torsk section.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Exterior renovations
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
Just got done talking to Rick on the phone.

I'll be there this Saturday, have some website stuff to discuss and I'll pick Rick's brain on some things and see if I can get any clarification on what is going on.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »
He said he would be sending out a new "scuttlebutt" email soon as well.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:54:31 PM »
I'll be there this Saturday, have some website stuff to discuss and I'll pick Rick's brain on some things and see if I can get any clarification on what is going on.

Remember to take lots of pics and share them!

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

Your photos are on my "to do" list  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
On the Drum I am going to have to make four stern tube shutters and one bow tube shuter, should be fun. We have tube  7 outer door working and hope to get the others when I dig them out of the rust. Good luck with your shutters if you decide to do them.
Tom bowser

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
Getting those shutters up will really complete the outside of the old girl. Weld them in, paint and enjoy.
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
I know as of now, there is some worldwide scavenger hunt (forget the name of it) item where the outer after tube doors would be, so we would have to make sure that the scavenger hunt people know that it has been moved when they come look for it, if we weld the outer doors back on. LOL.  :D

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:35:58 AM »

Your photos are on my "to do" list  ;D

Hey Mark, can you get some good photos of the new museum expansion room? Just to show everyone on here the new room with the U.S.S. Oklahoma memorial.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »
Hey Mark, can you get some good photos of the new museum expansion room? Just to show everyone on here the new room with the U.S.S. Oklahoma memorial.

Sadly, they have removed the USS Oklahoma memorial.  I can't remember where...but it's not there anymore.

I can take pics next time I'm down (in 2 weeks).  Vaughn and Mary framed up the entry way and it looks real nice.  Got phase one of the SHARK memorial done (photos to share and to email will be later today).  Phase 2 will be in two weeks (weather permitting - there was snow on the ground yesterday) which will include painting the torpedo.

Lance - I have your photos also...need to download from my camera and send them later today.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »
Why did they remove the Oklahoma memorial? That is kind of strange.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 11:14:23 PM »
Lance - I have your photos also...need to download from my camera and send them later today.

Great!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 09:54:01 AM »
Why did they remove the Oklahoma memorial? That is kind of strange.

I think that they said that the Batfish museum was just a temporary display.  I think the USO was going to take it on the road to help them raise money for the memorial.  What you saw was only an advertisement (like they used to do to raise war bonds).

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 01:23:51 PM »
Lance and Bill...I'll have your photos emailed tonight (Monday)...just ran out of time yesterday.

Travis, I'll also post the photo of the SHARK that shows what we got accomplished Saturday.  On the 22nd, the torpedo gets a new coat of paint plus the whole area gets a good cleaning (dirt, debris, etc...)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
Mark, I am glad that you and your wife are working on the Shark memorial, it will look great with a new coat of paint.
What all do they have in place of the Oklahoma memorial?