Author Topic: Docent Programs  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Docent Programs
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 09:30:10 AM »
Regarding the question of qualification for tour guides (docents) on museum boats. I actually qualified on two: The U-505 in 1978 and the USS Silversides in 1979.

Both were basically the same. The U-505's program, being a part of Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry was a little more formal. But basically it involved studying a script, memorizing as much as possible and also shadowing experienced guides on their tours. Then a supervisor would follow you through and pronounced you "passed." Though your tour delivery was a little rough at that stage, it improved and smoothed out with time and practice.

The Silversides at the time was about the same system. You read and study the script, and shadowed an experienced guide. I believe the training arrangement is basically the same.

But here's what was neat about learning about both boats: I enjoyed buying submarine reference books to learn more about each and weaving the most relevant, interesting facts into my tours until they were honed to a fine edge. I heartily recommend the "Warships Data 6: USS Bowfin" book from Pictorial Histories Publishing as a must-read for any aspiring fleet boat docent.

If you're thinking about developing a script or training system for docents, what I think might work best is taking some large index cards, one or two for each compartment, and using a computer or word processor, print basic, relevant facts about the compartment. Laminate them if you want. Then punch a hole in one corner of each and put a big key ring through them so they are easy for a learning guide to carry and flip over. Just a thought.

Thankfully, since those days many moons ago, there are considerably more books and works published about the development, design and employment of our submarines.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Docent Programs
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »
Paul, would it be possible for you to put your tour brochure up on this board so we can all see what we should aspire to.  Actually, I'm very interested in seeing it.  Thanks!