Author Topic: A few photos of the Marlin  (Read 23161 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: A few photos of the Marlin
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
 :D I was 137# and 28" waist when I was in - guess who got to do all the squirming around!  :laugh:  Outboard on those torpedo tubes was pretty tight.  I also got the good jobs like inspecting stuff inside the tubes.  :crazy2:

Speaking of which, I had one of the old NJS members call today to see if he paid his dues.  When he told me he liked my article on the Picuda in my newsletter - he told me that was his qual boat too.

He told me about a passage to the Med in the North Atlantic - he was topside watch during a major storm.  Got hit and knocked out by a wave.  That's when they decided to secure the topside watch and man the periscope.  Of course he knew nothing about it because he was still out cold.!  :crazy2:  Ok off track...sorry! ::)
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »
No problem  Reminded me of when I was a look out on the Snook. We pulled out of the Phillipenes to go look for a pilot that they thought had ditched in the ocean ( he actually crashed in a mountain) and it was a typhoon or what ever they call them out there.  We shut the hatch going down through the sail as one moment we'd be under a wave and the next almost broaching. This went on for three days and we ended up with about 25 people who could stand watches before they called the search off. That's when I leanred about drinking something with acid in it and chewing on crackers when you throw up. So lots of lemonaide and crackers. But we were young and dumb and thought it was fun. I learned a lot about driving the boat in those conditions. Wish someone could have taken a picture of those 60+ foot waves coming over the ship. At 700' down, we could stilll feel groundswells. Can I say that, oh well, I just did.  :idiot2:
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »
Bill,
Sorry for the PING, couldn't help myself ;)   A shipmate of mine on the Honolulu was on the Decomm crew of the Snook, he loved that boat and refused to change his belt buckle from the Snook to the Hono and from time to time when the MMC would piss him off he would pull out his Snook ball cap and smile and laugh (the MMC was a 41 for freedom sailor) and I did the same when riding other boats (the ball cap deal, didn't stay onboard long enough to buy a buckle nor did I want to)

Books of interest from HNSA for you are the ET Manual and the RM manual, they are dated '91 but they may be to new but will give you an idea of how to fix your gear IF you decide to bring your radio room back online.

Next question about Marlin is what kind of manuals or schematics do you have onboard???

Reason I am asking I have a buddy in DC who goes to the Navy Yards from time to time and he is more then willing and able to pull up files for the boats and copy them at the cost of the copying and then sending them to the boat.. Would you like some assistance here??? I am 99% sure that Jim would be more then happy to play and learn about one of the very unique boats in the museum community.

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »
Well, I was just on it for part of the first Westpac, I got my dolphins at crews meeting after breakfast and 30 minutes later was on the way to Clark Air Force Base to fly back to the states. Nookie Poo School was the priority I guess. I have always regretted that I never had the time to stay and just be part of the crew. But right from the start, it was quite a boat. The dolphins on my Scorpion Belt buckle are my qual dolphins from the Snook. The ones I wore on the Scorpion are on my sporran that goes with a kilt I used to fit into.
I have all the files downloaded and am going through them as I can find time.  I would like to get the radios up and running, so will start looking into that. An eyepiece for the scope is another priority, but don't want to ask for things until I see what might be in the storage shed. When I first got out of the Navy and before starting to build houses on my own, I worked with electronics for awhile and in a service shop where we worked on two way radios, hi fi and other electronic equipment, so will see what is in the files I downloaded. Thanks as always for the help.
Viejo :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
Bill,
A while ago John Clear bought the handles for a scope and he may or may not have a lead on getting the eye pieces that you are missing. Let me know what I can do for you and the Marlin, you guys have a lot (or is it a little :2funny:) to work with and be fortunate that most of your boat is there and not hollowed out like the Torsk was 10+ years ago when the vol's were given permission to work on her to restore her once more.

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 06:16:11 AM »
Darrin, thanks. The reason I haven't asked for anything yet is that when the city took over, their office was full of stuff from the two ships and Dave and I are going up and inventory it. They also had things donated and just packed them away, so we'll separate out what goes where and probably use some of the donated stuff for trades and so forth. I don't want to waste people's time looking for things that we might already have, but once the inventory is done, then I'll start making lists of things I know we need. The scope is raised and is all there from what I can see but the eyepiece. I'll get numbers etc if I don't find it in a box.
Thanks,
Bill :coolsmiley: