Author Topic: USS Mississippi  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
USS Mississippi
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080825/NEWS/808250340/1001/news

Yaay!

Jabaley said it's possible the USS Mississippi's commissioning will be on the Gulf Coast. That event likely will not come until the fall of 2012, but some of the state's officials already are feeling the pride.

Man, I wonder how I could get an invite to that???

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: USS Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
Lance:

Bet you there is a USS Mississippi commissioning committee. This is a committee usually set up by wealthy and politically connected folks who raise money for a commissioning party for the boat and crew (The Navy is not supposed to spend money on such things). You definitely should be able to get an invitation if you make a donation but you also may be able to swing one if you ask the right people. Also, you may be able to swing an invite through your USSVI base: I thought you shared that you were an associate member.

I would Google "USS Mississippi Commissioning Committee" and if that turns up nothing then call your closest state representative or state senator's office. If that's another dead end, ask someone in your USSVI base.

I attended the commissioning of the USS Chicago back in 1986 as that is my home town. I can't remember now if I got my invite because I met the skipper several months beforehand or because of my donation to the commissioning committee. Either way, I was there and it rocked.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: USS Mississippi
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
Yep, I'm an associate member of USSVI Lockwood Internet Base.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that down the road.