Author Topic: What do you/did you do for a living?  (Read 89778 times)

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: What do you/did you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
Actually, Nautilus Models makes resin accessories for the Revell "Lionfish" kit, which I do have and have accessories for an early-war Gato with the large conning tower and a late-war Balao. Now I've got to find the kit!

And Lance, sorry about discussing scale modeling topics on the "What do you/Did you do for a living" board!

Offline Brad

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »
I graduated Oklahoma State in 2003 with a BS in Aviation Sciences and a handful of pilot certificates.  I spent the next 5 years flight instructing and doing various flying, including 'flying' an altitude chamber here in Tulsa.  I've also been doing anything and everything computer related for my in-law's family business since high school (I married my high-school sweetheart after college).   I tired of the undependable schedule and more time away from home, and now I manage aerospace contracts (primarily military platforms) for NORDAM.  I'm also halfway through my MBA at OSU-Tulsa.  When I'm not at work or wading through the poo towards another degree, I try to get trigger time at the range as much as possible.  I build the occasional scale model (I keep trying to tell myself that the 1/72 Gato, with the Nautilus Batfish conversion of course, just isn't practical...we'll see) and enjoy attempting to pull the wings off of aircraft in MS FSX.  Amongst all of that I've just started volunteering at the Batfish and have had an absolute blast in the time I've spent out there.

I also enjoy long walks on the beach and poking dead things with sticks.   :D

-Brad

Offline Ralph Luther

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »
Let me see, what do I do for a living ::) Well I breath and that helps a whole lot. I'm retired!!!! I spent from '61-'69 in the Submersible Canoe Club as a Machinist Mate. Qualified in '62 aboard the Odax SS-484. Went to Nuke School, didn't have the math background, so, I didn't stay there long. Went to the Sennet SS-408 until early '67. Got "volunteered" to ride the Hamilton SSBN617 as an Auxman for 1 patrol then to the Webster SSBN626 as an Auxman for 2 patrols. The Dandy Dan went to the yards and I turned back up on the 408 and put it out of commission and I walked down pier november and out the gate in January '69 as MM1(SS/DV).
Went into the trucking business and retired from it after 30+years as a Teamster.
Got a wonderful wife, Sharon, and 2 grown kids and 2 Grandkids that Grand doesn't even begin to describe them.
That's my story an I'm stickin to it! :o

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
I can't be that old! :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »
I work in Sacramento, California for the local electric utility.  I've been in that line of work since 1979 in California and in Colorado.  I had the pleasure of working with John Theotonio in San Francisco for a while.  I am currently a trainer for the electric operators to make sure they keep up on all of the required training they must have, which gets me to work with John T again in a round about way.  It's a small world in this business.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
Everytime I walk by a Victoria's Secrete I wish I was a model guy too... :crazy2:

You'd probably look lovely in a little strapless number, John. :D

BW
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline scamp588

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
I joined the Navy in 1981, one week after high school graduation.  I qualified on the Tullibee and transferred to the Scamp as FT LPO.  I then enjoyed my last years in the Navy at Subsol working in the attack centers.  After the Navy I received my degree in education and taught 11th and 12th grade electronics at a vo-tech.  After a couple of years teaching I moved into corporate training and have been doing this for the last 14 years.  I am currently the director of training for a financial company.

I have been married for 23 years and have a son who will turn 13 in October.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 09:34:42 PM »
Well alright, welcome to the forum scamp588!  We are glad to have you here.  I highly respect teachers...I'm married to one.  :)

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »
Welcome, from one trainer to another.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20:10 AM »
Welcome aboard Scamp588 - good to have another trainer aboard. 
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 01:54:14 AM »
Thought I would update what I have been doing and also so Rick might see this so he will know why I haven't been at the museum very much.

Still racing. although I no longer race for Suzuki or local dealership I am leading and well on my way to 2 more championships this year. I have been working 2 jobs to pay for a divorce.  One job is at Family Dollar in which I have to drive 25 miles to the next town, but the pay is ok. And the other is at the local piercing/tat shop where I do set ups, run the counter, and answer questions since I am one of the most pierced in the  'Gee (Muskogee) also while I am there I am trying to get an apprenticeship for piercing so I can be licensed through the state and make boocoup money.

Hobbies I am trying to switch my military simulations from Russian to US Marine Corp for WW2 and Vietnam, US Army WW2, or German Fallschirmjäger (Paratrooper). Still can't decide and I am looking for a few buddies to do so with! I know great event, but they would require long travel.

Thats my update. Rick, see ya soon.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »
I am a junior in high school and i go to Broken Arrow Sr high school i am a redneck big time barbeque all that kind of stuff after high school i wanna move to north carolina to go to the East Carolina University to study marine archaeologiy
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
I would like to add to mine that i would like to go to the navy i would be the 5th generation of family members in the military and the 3rd in the navy i want to eventully become a diver hopefully find some old sunken US subarmines or any of the missing U-BOATS i dont wanna go in just for the money its for my family and becuse it would teach me alot and earn respect i wanna go to the navy probley after my junior year in high school which is next year and even work in submarine too. i read alot of yalls introdcutions and there very neat to read
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
I just saw this topic or at least have never looked at it before. Very interesting to read what all do and have done.
I spent 6 years in the Navy as an ELT Nuc. Last ship of course was the Scorpion. Got out and built houses, developed land, and did some small commercial building including a lot of churches. Also built and set up a truss plant and pre-hung door plant.  Got back into doing HVAC for a large HVAC company and have had my own small company off and on ever since. Converted a modular house plant into a pre-cut house building operation for a friend and did pretty well until he moved out of state.
Worked for a property management company for several years managing over 600 rental houses, a lot of apartments and a shopping center. Moved back to Iowa and taught vocations for 7 years in a high school for kids in trouble with the law, then worked for 8 years as an EMT and paramedic. I got my paramedic at the age of 60 and was the oldest one in my class. Retired several years later and then did small engine repair for 4 years with a friend and now volunteer part time and work part time for Omaha City Parks and Rec at Freedom Park. I act as unofficial site manager, run the volunteers, handle all the Eagle Scout, JROTC, and Sea Cadets who volunteer with the park and act as gofer and question answerer for all those who help in the park. One of the nicest parts is working with some Naval Sub Officers from Stratcom. Some still on active duty and several retired but working there as contractors. It is really nice to see that our sub force still has the same expertise and attitude that it had when I was in. Also get to do tours with the ships and the exhibits in the park. Working on getting the gift shop open and finding someone to start working with all our books, plans, documents laying around throughout the park and in warehouses throughout Omaha. Now am trying to coordinate several groups who are working to get the sail and rudder from the USS Omaha brought back to the park.  In my spare time I do a little for USSVI and some of the bases I belong to.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »
...In my spare time I do a little for USSVI and some of the bases I belong to.
Viejo

You are too funny, Bill.  I'm glad you got all interested in the Marlin.  At least I now know who to come to for photos.  ;)