Author Topic: How To Keep Volunteers  (Read 17426 times)

Offline Coolhand

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How To Keep Volunteers
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »
i would like to volunteer to help my local sub the USS Cobia, however being physically disabled for life, i can't do anything like that anymore. which really sucks ass, as i have always loved the subs of WWII, along with anything to do with Sub history, or history in general. think thats why most of the time my Directv is on those channels unless its sunday for football of course :D

wish all of you the best of luck in keep and finding Volunteers to help with the upkeep of some of our Nations treasures :)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »
So I have to ask Coolhand, how totally disabled are you?  If you are in a motorized wheelchair and can speak, I'd think you could talk to visitors about COBIA and her history. Docents don't have to run up and down ladders. Or you can help out in the office... remember, our subs would have been just nice pieces of steel if it weren't for the support staff ashore.

Think outside the box!

PF  :smitten:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Coolhand

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »
i'm not in a wheelchair YET, however live 24/7 365 in constant pain, to the point where i have days where i don't get out of bed other then to bring food to the bedroom or use the bathroom. that and i live probably almost 2 hours north of the Cobia. so time, and other things would keep me from helping as well. so a couple times a year i try to go down and go through the tour again, along with add a w/e few bucks i may have on me as a donation in the "torpedo" fund. problem is i have several bone disease's, so i have very few days where i can do any kind of movements, so the ones i do have i do cherish.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
I show up because of obsession.  My first computer game was Silent Service for the Commodore/Atari computers and I always enjoyed visiting the museum boats. I see the potential of what Batfish can become and suddenly we've had a real surge of interest and donations.  I can't stand on the sidelines and watch it all happen.  Too much fun... even with the wasps and the heat.   :)

I don't mind the 90 mile round trrip or paying the tolls, either.  Although, the Turpike Commission is definitely sending their kids to school on my dime.    :coolsmiley:

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Brian Flynn

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »
Adding my $.02. 

My main experience is with Torsk.  I think one of the reasons that group works is that there's a fair amount of give and take.  I know when I go up, I try to split my work - something I want to do (like rebulding blow and vent valves) and something that needs to get done.  Since I'm doing something I enjoy, I'm happy to do something that I don't necessarily enjoy (like painting, chipping rust, cleaning the dirt/oil/rust sludge out of the bilge).

The other part is the people, just like anywhere else.  I actually like most of these guys.

Its not the museum management.  Torsk maintained its group through good museum management, the current OUTSTANDING museum management....and management from the past that everyone wished was better.  Regardless of the level of support or the relationship with the museum, the group held together.

It also helps when you're in a large metropolitan area like Baltimore and can find enough of us crazy people who actually LIKE being on a boat....

Brian

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
Well said, Brian.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
I lived in So. MD for 7 years until 2005.  If I had known that the Torsk was maintained by volunteers, I would have been up there pitching in.  I had no clue at all.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:08 AM »
Mark,
Don't feel bad, there are a lot of folks that don't know that they have a museum submarine close to their own backyard.  I lived in Ohio for a couple of years after I left the Navy and didn't know that the COD was as close as it was to my old house until a few months ago and yes I would have volunteered on the COD had I only known

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
What's even worse is that I knew about Torsk and had visted her twice.  I just didn't know that they let volunteers work on her.  You guys should advertise and then weed out the ones that you don't want.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
We do advertise... there are a couple of signs up in the boat, but they aren't in your face.  Maybe we need to rethink that.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »
My two cents:

alert the newspapers that you are open to volunteers... `contact the "seniors" editor at the paper, or look at the local news website, usually run by the paper...

that said, I think the best volunteers will find YOU!   But yes, it doesn't help to give the skids some grease... we need to do more in this field with COD!
 :'(
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
Yeah, I don't remember any signs, but I haven't been on the boat since at least 2004.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
I signed up from the Torsk internet site.  If I start to talk to a tourist and they seem super interested I often ask if they would like to volunteer.  Ultimately, your question was how to keep volunteers. 

1.  Make it fun.
2.  Make each and every volunteer feel priceless no matter what they do on the boat. 
3.  Each week, for the Torsk folks,  Wednesday a general email is sent out asking who will be on board. Nice reminder that the boat is still there and needs your help
4.  Plan on lunch for the volunteers on board.  Lunch meaning hot dogs/chips/soda. Really, what will hot dogs and rolls set you back? 
5.  Work together, it is a social event as well as a restoration event.  If it is a social event as well as a restoration event, it becomes fun to attend and not just another job.
6.  Remember it is VOLUNTEER and your members can make it when they can.  It is not a job.  We all have those in one form or another. The hatch is always open no matter what Saturday you can make it. Again, it is supposed to be a fun, no pressure day restoring something cool for generations to come.  ;)   
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »
Good list, Chris.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor