Author Topic: Hey Lance,  (Read 10070 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Hey Lance,
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »
Can you put the school of the boat posts in one folder please so that our folks that show up can catch up, that and it would be nice for them to be all in one place :)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: Hey Lance,
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
Good idea Darrin! that's good for another BZ
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »
Hey JT,
That's why TM's run the school of the boat!!  because we have to think outside of the box and make sure that those that follow on after us are able to learn the lessons that we struggled to learn. And Lance I will be more then happy to go back and alter the name of the school of the boat (i.e. school of the boat (tanks) and school of the boat (High Pressure Air sys)) that way when or IF our other boats come on line and they would like to learn a little about their boat (or at least a Balao class) they will be able to disect what we have gone over so it will be easier for them to learn the systems that they are working on.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »
Thanks Darrin & Lance...

This will allow people like me to hopefully catch up one day.

Oh, and Darrin...even though I haven't been able to participate, I do appreciate you doing this to help us non-military types.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
Mark A,
Don't worry about not being able to participate in the school of the boat, one day you will be able to go through these and use the knowledge (I hope that I was able to give) on your projects on the Batfish or wherever you go after her.. In my eyes everyone here is an equal, military service does not matter at all because you have been bitten by the bug to restore something that others have forgotten or discarded as scrap.

Take the time when you can and learn about your boat, it will be well worth it over the years especially as more equipment does come back to life once more..

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
Darrin - I know a guy (of course not a TM) that thought so much outside of the box he walked right over the gangway, past the OD, and off the port side right into the bay.  AND is was not drunk! (MM3 NQP)
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »
JT.....   :2funny: :2funny:

One of my friends on his last duty night had the privelage of tinkiling down the brow with trow around his ankle's... he would have NEVER even thought of doing that except we had a Aussie boat outboard of us and they plied us with LOTS of Fosters ;)  he had forwarned us that he might do that for the fun of it and we all "no balls'd him"  and a few hours later and a few beers later he finished his final task of a submarine qualified officer.. sadly the LT got out of the Navy 4 days later with a smile on his face and that was the last time that I heard from him, the clean up was easy with a fire hose that we had already used to load potable water and we all laughed as we washed down the brow.

Thanks LT, you always made us laugh and you took care of us no matter what our rank or rate

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »
Darrin,

Sure, let me try it as a "child" board of this one first.  If that doesn't look good, we can try it another way.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
All set up.  You should see it now as a "child board" of this board.

Darrin, in addition to me and MWALLEN and JTheotonio, you will have moderator powers on the "School of the Boat" board.

Try it out, see what you think.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
Thanks Lance,
and I don't mind it having the "child board" name to it, I am just glad that you were able to bring the last couple of months of school of the boat together and put them into a single folder to make it easier for all of us

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
You had Foster's on board? Shame - and I was not there?

If we're telling sea stories, and Lance cover your ears, on one of our Gitmo tours, the skipper decided to take the boat (because he had the keys you know) to Jamaica for the weekend.  We had this corpsman "Doc" who had a wife and about 10 kids in Key West.  I mean this guy was always producing a new kid.  We we tie up to the pier in Ocho Rios, the Skipper splits us in two for liberty.  I got seconds, so had to wait.  Doc, well he's not in any group (non-essential personnel).   I go topside after a bit, and what do I see, a crazy guy chasing one of the local (pleasure) girls though the bushes - shirt off and she didn't have muc  Nh on either...LOL No one said a word to him. We knew it was Doc because he only had 8 fingers!
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 08:39:52 PM »
Thanks Lance,
and I don't mind it having the "child board" name to it, I am just glad that you were able to bring the last couple of months of school of the boat together and put them into a single folder to make it easier for all of us

Well, being a "child board" just means that it is under another board, for example Submarine Related Chatter is the "parent board" of School of the Boat now.  It's just a way to organize topics and assign moderators if needed.  I just never used the feature before because I thought it may be confusing or hard to find information.  I thought it fit well for School of the Boat posts though.  If it's too hard to find then we can change it.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »
JT,
we were moored FIRMLY against the pier which was unusual for us and had an aussie boat on the same finger pier in Pearl with us, those guys got semi trailers FULL of it when they pulled in and were more then happy to give it away :) to us not so lucky US boats.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
Best I got was to tie up on the same pier with a Turkish sub - smelled! Worse than our old boat!  No beer either.
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »
The cleanest submarine I ever went on was a Japanese submarine during RimPac '92, you could litteraly eat off of the floors or bilge without having to worry about getting sick... Heck I think Martha would have been proud ;)