Author Topic: School of the boat for 30 Sept 08 (working the air sys)  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
School of the boat for 30 Sept 08 (working the air sys)
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »
Okay folks,
After thinking about what to do for this weeks school of the boat, we are going to go over how to bring the air systems on line and make sure that they are prepped for in port and for under way operations...
What that means is to bring the LOW pressure Air system up to include the WRT's and the bringing all of the air systems up to  the 3000 PSI system for in port and at sea operations... and yes that means ALL of the air systems and not just the two that I have mentioned.
Knowing that there are pictures of the air manifolds online please describe what is required to make this happen.. reasoning behind this is there are a few boats who's air systems have been restored to where they are using LOW pressure air across the board and not HIGH pressure reduced down to the low pressure side of the house.

Good luck folks

Darrin

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: School of the boat for 30 Sept 08 (working the air sys)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »
As I don't have all day to spend writing this, I'll go through part of the line-up.  From the HP air compressors you go forward to the charging manifold located under the HP air manifold.  Open the right-hand valve to bring air from aft to the HP air manifold.  At the HP air manifold open one of the air bank valves (1-6).  1-3 are located on the left-hand side manifold and 4-6 are on the right-hand side manifold.  This allows the HP air compressors to charge that bank.  Now if you want to supply air forward, say to WRT, open the HP air forward valve on the charging manifold.

Now, that a bank is on line, open the 225# reducer supply valve (right-hand HP air manifold if 4,5,6 are on line, left-hand HP air manifold if 1,2,3 are on line).  Next open the 225# reducer inlet and slowly open the outlet.  3000# air is reduced to 225# air by the reducer and supplied to the Ship's Service Air Manifold (located just forward of the HP air manifold).  The Ship's Service Air Manifold supplies 225# air to Aux 1 & 2, Forward and After Trim and the 225# forward and aft air headers.  From these headers you get air to pressurize battery water tanks and fresh water tanks, diesel start, ship's horn, blow sanitaries, and air tool connections amongst other things.

The charging manifold also allows you to bring air from the tender or shore and it has a connection to a vent muffler for when the headers are being vented.

Now for the rest, there are reducers all over the place for reduucing air to blow sanitaries, pressurize fresh and battery water tanks, etc.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »
OOOOPS.  To get air into the HP manifold from the charging manifold, you need to open the cross connect.  THere is one on the left and right-hand manifolds, so depending on which bank is in service, that would be the cross connect valve to open.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »
Great job Chief,
I guess I should have asked the question differently and I am gratefull that you were able to explain how to bring the air systems to life on a musuem boat so that there is air onboard for damned near everything that is needed. SO that leads me to ask a second school of the boat question for this week

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »
All I can say is WOW!  No way I could understand this without seeing it done in person.  :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:16 PM »
Lance,
You and I both and some others have a LOT to learn about these boats and honestly we are close enough to these boats to learn them and make them work once more, folks like Hairy who is in Newfoundland are stuck behind the power curve when it comes to operating these boats because he is SO far away from them.

IF you want to learn how to operate these systems please use the www.hnsa.org site for ALL of the information as to how to operate a BALAO Class boat and yes a LOT of stuff converts over to the Tench Class.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
Here is a better break down of what Chief Mike is talking about, thanks goes to Dave Thames and to Chief Mike for this pic

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
Nice job on that picture guys.

I hope to get down to the Drum again within the next couple of months.  I'll have more things to look over when I get there.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Good job on the picture - thanks
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John