Author Topic: BATFISH DECK PLANS  (Read 31840 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
BATFISH DECK PLANS
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:16:41 AM »
I really need some deck plans for the Batfish or as close to the batfish as possible.  I need them 'looking down' and not side profiles.  This is for the proposal and some particular needs that deck plans will allow to be better understood.  Any ideas on where I might find some?

B :uglystupid2:
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: BATFISH DECK PLANS
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »
I really need some deck plans for the Batfish or as close to the batfish as possible.

Here are some examples from a book I have.  Three different pages.  I can print them out and bring them to the museum this Saturday.

They are copyrighted illustrations, so I can also include the copyright info with them.

Let me know what you want.

Mark A.

PS. Also meant to let you know that I can provide better quality scans and email them too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:01:42 AM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:09:24 AM »
IF you want the actual Navy blue prints and you would like to buy them the are at www.floatingdrydock.com While they don't have the Batfish's plans they do have a lot of plans for just about everything that you would need and then some ;)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
Rick has a lot of prints, too.  Ask to see what he has before you go hunting elsewhere.

Also, I sent him plans that show where the 5" deck gun was mounted on certain subs on the aft deck.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:14:36 PM »
I actually need INTERNAL deck plans if possible.  Mark I do appreciate the external ones though, as they will help in the exterior renovations and needs.

B
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:17:08 PM »
OK...let me see what else I can turn up.  Not sure what I have...but it will be tomorrow before I can take a look.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »
Well, I went ahead and took a look.

I do have a deck plan (interior), but it's from a GATO class.

If that is OK, I can scan it and post it here.  It will be two sheets as it's about 17 inches long.

Let me know and I can have it for you in the morning.

Mark

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 01:17:06 AM »
I am pretty sure that the National Archives at College Park, MD has the original ink drawings of BATFISH (what they made the blueprints from) or a very close BALAO sister... showing every deck fitting, cleat, salvage air connection, etc.  The drawings above are very general in comparison!

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 01:25:44 AM »
As long as it is the basic 'floor plan' of the boat, I appreciate it.  One of the things I need it for is to get estimates for and propose a mini-dome security camera system throughout the boat - along with an alarm/security system.  Now who else do you know that has a key fob alarm for a sub!  Bloop Bloop.

Just kidding...  Seriously though, as more and more folks go through the boat we need to protect our investment as much as possible.  Cameras would also help in the event of an injury, emergency, etc.  On a security note, I still crack up when I think of how someone stole all the cigars Correy left in the LOCKED captain's stateroom but left the cigar box.  Just a note too - for those who might be cringing at the thought of modern day technology on the boat - these camareas would be small and barely noticeable.  They would be a great replacement for the few on the boat now.  I am also looking for the best places that fir extinquishers can be placed.  Let's face it, no one will give a second thought to them, but I want to place them in strategic places, but not necessarily places where they might get caught in everyone's vacation photos.

Anyhoot, any help would be apreciated.

OH - one more thing - I want to get a live web cam at the musem that will allow folks who visit our website the chance to watch the Batfish restoration LIVE.  It would also drive more folks to the site and of course, increased traffic means increased support.  Later I think it would be cool to make a couple of the interior cameras web cams during certain hours and I would LOVE to mount something on the exterior of the boat herself - something that can be remotely operated and rotated by guests to view the park, river front, etc.  I love the one you can do this with in London near the HMS Belfast.  Thoughts??
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 01:54:50 AM »
Here's an example of why we need a fire supression system and plan.  We don't have seciurity of course, but security camears would help during daytime hours at least.  Anyway here is the article about the Cutty Sark fire:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/09/30/cutty.sark.fire/index.html
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
...OH - one more thing - I want to get a live web cam at the musem that will allow folks who visit our website the chance to watch the Batfish restoration LIVE.  It would also drive more folks to the site and of course, increased traffic means increased support.  Later I think it would be cool to make a couple of the interior cameras web cams during certain hours and I would LOVE to mount something on the exterior of the boat herself - something that can be remotely operated and rotated by guests to view the park, river front, etc.  I love the one you can do this with in London near the HMS Belfast.  Thoughts??

Excellent idea on that.  The USS Cavalla has some cams like this set up on their website.  The only downside I can think of this is a) HUGE bandwidth sucking each month, likely to increase website costs dramatically and b) good broadband internet connection required at the sub.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »
broadband internet connection required at the sub.
   :D yeah, right.

Bradley, below are the deck plans I was referring to.  Hopefully they are what you are needing or at least will help you out.  Just remember, these are from a  GATO class and not a BALAO.

Mark

Source: The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy by John D. Alden.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:01:54 AM by MWALLEN »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Bradley,

Most, if not all, fire extinguisher mounts are still present and accounted for on the boat.  I would just put the right size bottles in each holder so that they lock down properly.  There's even one up in the CT.

Mark S.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
   :D yeah, right.

Bradley, below are the deck plans I was referring to.  Hopefully they are what you are needing or at least will help you out.  Just remember, these are from a  GATO class and not a BALAO.

Mark

Source: The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy by John D. Alden.

Yeah, these will work for what I need.  I'd love to find some for the Batfish, but if not, then our long term planning could involve drafts made up - although that would be a ton of work.  I'll go the route of the Navy as suggested earlier.

THANKS!
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
Just a quick follow-up...

Talked with the National Archives and am seeking info about hiring a researcher to obtain copies based on the response below:

We have general plans for the USS Batfish (SS-310) located among the
Records of the Bureau of Ships, Record Group 19. These drawings include
a " Booklet of General Plans",corrected through 1955,  a docking plan
and systems drawings in the form of a "General Information Booklet".
Other Balao class submarines are on microfilm, circa 1943.

Pretty cool.  Also learned that there may be some great photos not currently known by our Memorial of the Batfish.  Sure wish we had someone we knew from that area who could look them up for us.  Anyhoot, just thought you might appreciate the update.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com