Author Topic: FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM  (Read 46868 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
With the alarms and I should have mentioned this one first...

For the boats that are still in the water they need to test ALL of their bilge alarms on a regular basis and check to make sure that that system is operational at all times and fix or replace the sending units as necessary because I would hate to see another K-77 incident with one of our remaining WWII boats.

Smoke alarms are a great idea and while I hate to be a devils advocate on this one, who is going to hear them going off after hours?? I don't know if you can work a deal out with your local security companies to see if they will give you a reduced price to maintain a fire/flooding/security system on a historic landmark and beg and plead to see if they will do it at no cost to the organization because a number of our boats are being maintained by mostly the volunteer groups. And if that doesn't work see if the people who actually hold the "title" to the boat will pay for those services to be added to the boat so that ALL of the hard work of countless volunteer hours over the years will not be lost in a fire or flooding and be sure to mention that it may be a discount on THEIR insurance costs.

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »
Monitoring is certainly something I am proposing along with mini security cam installation, etc.  One of the problems we occassionaly have with a staff of ONE is that there are times when NO ONE is on the boat - even guests.  So a camera system could help with a visual glance at each compartment in such a case.  Of course it also comes in handy when folks are on the boat.  I want to set it up so that administrators can access the system via the internet and even check on the boat after ours.  So if ADT calls for example, we can log in and 'see' what's happening real time.  Anyhoot - thanks for the GREAT discussion and thoughts!  You have NO IDEA how much I appreciate all of the input this topic has been given. :2funny:
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Brian Flynn

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2008, 09:09:16 AM »
Perhaps a repeater system with a flashing emergency light topside?  It would be more expensive to outfit.

As to CO2 / CO detectors, I don't think they're necessary.  You do need to consider gas-safe reentry procedures if there is a fire.  How long will it take for ventilation method X to change out the air, how will you sample for gases, etc.  On modern boats, they use hand held units for sampling.  Does anyone know a civilian source?

I am working all this into a document that I'll publish in a few weeks.  So far I'm at 10 pages with quite a bit left to fill in.

Brian

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
Damage control - what are the conditions of your bulkhead flapper valves?  Before you go venting the submarine, and let's say there is a fire still going, you may be feeding the fire more O2.  The compartment should be isolated if possible including shutting the bulkhead flapper valves on the main supply line.  Flapper valves are located at both ends of a compartment (except which ones?), and can be operated by hand from either side of the bulkhead.

If you can no longer fight the fire in a compartment - get out and isolate the compartment.

So did everyone get the pop quiz?  What compartments do not have a bulkhead flapper valve at both ends?
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »
JT,
Only a TM would ask that question ;)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2008, 06:35:49 PM »
And you know why...but do others
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
 :2funny: :2funny:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »
I'm assuming the torpedo rooms have the bulkhead flapper valves.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »
I agree, I would say the Torpedo rooms since they are at the end. But then again, thats where the fricken bombs are. Fire would be a big no no there even more so. I would say the crews quarters and mess. On the Batfish those rooms don't have dogs to make it air tight.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
bomb's we don't need no stinkin bomb's!!!! Torpedo's and Mines YES but bombs...... NAH ;)

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:05 AM »
Torpedoes go boom, bombs go boon, mines go boom. Some are just prettier than others.  ;)
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
Ok folks let me rephrase my earlier answer, yes we do need bombs onboard and that is when those kids who like to swim underwater and jump out of airplanes for no good reason  other then to make stuff go boooooom..  Now on the nuke boats the O2 Gen set has been called a bomb for more then a few reasons so I guess you could count that one also

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
Bombs - we don't need no stinkin' bombs!

Yes in fact on the Fleet Submarine we only have a single bulkhead flapper valve - because at the pointy ends of the sub there are no bulkheads.  So there will be one going between Forward Battery and Forward Torpedo Room, and Maneuvering and the After Torpedo Room.

Now there is one other place which does not have a bulkhead flapper valve between compartments.  No, you cannot count the Conn!

So dig a bit more... :knuppel2:
-----

John