Author Topic: NEW MEMBER  (Read 6334 times)

Offline lester_palifka

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
Hi all

My name is Lester and I was invited to join this group by a fella i saw in sh 4 a sub sim group.  My main interest is submarines wwII subs in particular. I have over 400 books on subs plus alot of memorobilia. 2 of my best pieces are the commissioning plaque from the uss baya ss318 and the original plot map from the Lionfish's second war patrol. The USS Baya is my adopted boat and I am also  a honorary member of the Lionfish SS298 crew an honor that was bestowed on me because of my restoration work on her.

I am a founding father of the Subcommittee. (see www.subcommittee) which is a international group of people interested in sub and sub modeling. I used to run the subcommittees annual sub regatta that was held at the US subase in New London ct. ( I live in Vernon ct) I have been to most of the 688 class commissioning and all of the trident commissioning. Thru my contacts at the subase namely the commanding officers of sub group 2 myself and my good friend Ken hart were able to go on a week long training cruise of the USS Gato SSN 615. we went to the site of the Thresher sinking and did a memorial service seeing as the Gato was the last of the permits (actually the Thresher class). It was the best week if my life..I was also involved with the SubVets of WWII as an associate member for a number of years untill they switched thier meetings to the day time.

Anyway I'm happy to be here and offer up any research that anyone might want done. I look forward to hearing from the members of this group. My handle is Capt Nemo...which i use in sub related correspondence.

regards,

Lester

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: NEW MEMBER
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
Lester,

Welcome to the forum.  I think you'll like it here.  :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »
Welcome aboard Lester,
Always ready to bring someone else onboard, pull up a chair and stay awhile.. There is a lot of information here on this bbs and there will be more posted as the questions are asked. a good place for you to start in regards to learning about these boats is the school of the boat and use the website www.hnsa.org if you haven't done so already.

Well Cap'n you might find that we have a good crew here and that while the bbs is slow right now there is a good deal of work going on with the crews of these museum boats.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
Welcome aboard Lester.  Good company here and good times.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John