Author Topic: politicing & SS-383 Museum  (Read 20038 times)

jerry, k6iii

politicing & SS-383 Museum
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
There sure seems to be a lot of 'politics' going on re the PAMPANITO, SS-383 museum. I sure hope for the good of all people we can get through all this and preserve her history for all to examine.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: politicing & SS-383 Museum
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
Elaborate please, I don't know anything about the Pampanito.

Are you a volunteer there?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:05:37 AM »
Jerry, join the club.  It took a lot of money to get these boats and even more to keep them "afloat".  Where there's money, there's politics.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »
Yes, clue us in on what you are experiencing.  Perhaps we can give some direction for you.
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
True, money does sometimes drive museum boat politics. I saw people running the Silversides in the early 1980s who definitely wanted to make money for themselves off her. For shame. When the board voted to send the boat to Muskegon, the president of the board divorced his wife and sold his business to go up with it. He was more than a little pissed that the judge gave his ex-wife a seven-figure settlement, basically cleaning him out. Then he started selling Silversides souvenirs and keeping the profits for himself. The folks up there wisely told him it was unacceptable and he quit.

It's been my experience that museum politics are often over control of the boat. There are people that, for whatever reason, get possessive of a museum boat and believe that they, and only they, can save it and know what's best. Of course, others have sound ideas to move a museum boat forward and thankfully, this has occurred at several museum boats. My belief is that a museum boat's mission has changed from the wartime mission of combat and victory to SHARING and EDUCATION of ALL and that it really belongs to ALL. It cannot survive and be relevant if it belongs to a select few. And that's not the purpose behind the Navy's ship donation program.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »
My belief is that a museum boat's mission has changed from the wartime mission of combat and victory to SHARING and EDUCATION of ALL and that it really belongs to ALL

AMEN!  Nice post Fred.  We had something like that at the BATFISH.  It's in the past now and the park has never been better during my time volunteering there.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Re: politicizing & SS-383 Museum
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »
Bill Parker, better known as SOB, is on the board of the group that runs the Pampanito and also works as a docent. Bill is one of our dual qualified guys. He  also knows more about subs than most anyone I know. His email is   SOB490@earthlink.net

Here is a web page that has a virtual tour of the Pampanito.  http://www.maritime.org/pamphome.htm
 They are having a Lost Boat Ceremony on 
 Memorial Day, Monday, May 26
Lost Boat Ceremony
USS Pampanito, Pier 45
5:00 p.m.
Join submarine veterans in the "Lost Boat" ceremony aboard the USS Pampanito, honoring comrades and submarines lost at sea. This moving ceremony features sixty-five bell tolls for each boat and crew on "eternal patrol." May 26, at Pier 45, Fisherman's Wharf, Taylor and Embarcadero Streets, 415-775-1943.

There is politics involved with all these boats, but sometimes it is hard for the guy who just visits or comes aboard a couple ot times to see why some decisions have to be made. I do know that Bill spends much time trying to help make sure that what needs to be done for the Pampanito gets done and also to try and accommodate people who want to visit the boat or use it at times. Unfortunately,some have not been very understanding with their demands.  The group that manages the boat recently had a very interesting meeting ( on April 1) and Bill was kind enough to send me copies of the meeting. There is much involved in trying to work out the needs and desires of many groups, some of whom aren't aware of all that it takes to keep the boat in the shape that it is.
I am going to make a folder of the pictures  shown for the Pampanito.  Paul Farace of the Cod was also nice enough to send me 134 pictures of the Cod that really show off that boat.

I would suggest that if you have questions about the Pampanito or perhaps would like to become involved in some way, that you write Bill and ask him to help. He is an officer of the Cyberspace online Base of USSVI and is listed on their homepage at     http://www.ussvi.org/base/Cyberspace.asp
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:01:51 AM »
Viejo,

I'm sure that we will be picking Bill's brain.  I have visited the Pampanito's site many times for clues and ideas.

Of all of the museum boats, I think Pampanito has ended up being in the best condition/re-conditioned state.  Being in a Hollywood movie probably helped a lot and you guys are in a pretty high-profile city and location. 

What we could really use help on (at the Batfish) is letter writing for grants.  If you guys have some examples and also leads for places to get grants, that would help us and other boats out A LOT.  Also, we're looking for someone that actually wants to tackle the writing aspect and is really good at it.  This would probably be a local person, but we won't turn away far-away help.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
Hey Mark, you might want to visit the Cod before judging which museum boat is in the best condition/restored state. And be prepared to be thoroughly wowed.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
I'll have to do that.  It's like the Coke vs. Pepsi challenge from the 80's.  :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
Cod VS Pampanito!

Too bad the Batfish wins! lol Joking... ;D

Like you guys I would like to hear the politics that are gong on with the SS-383. I may be very young, but I might be able to help, and I am sure the others on this site can help from there personal experience.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Re: politicking & SS-383 Museum
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »
Well, since clicking on reply, I have already forgot who said what, but one of you mentioned grant letters.  I did some researching on grants several years ago for the LIBRARY Fund for USSVCF.  I learned some things in general and from what I can see, many of the initial requirements for a grant have already been met by your museum boats, because of how they are owned and the fact they are up and running. I"ll talk to SOB. Both of us being Bills, makes it more understandable to use a different name for each, so we don't get confused as to whom is being talked to or about. LOL  SOB may already have some grant letters, but this is exactly the type of thing that one can learn about and then the other guys from the other boats use to help their boats. There is a doctor who is on the board of the Silversides and he may have some info on that also.  If we could get enough info on this, it might make a good separate topic as I know from getting EMS and Red Cross Grants in the past, that knowing what to say and when and to whom is half the battle. So if any of you have some experience with this, please pipe up and educate the rest of us. We might even be able to find an experienced grant writer in USSVI that would help all the boats out.
Viejo, the other Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Again, with the Holllywood movie stuff!

Movie production projects COST the boat money!!!  They give you an interesting few weeks that, at best, allow you to break even or only lose a little money... at worst they can seriously damage your boat and its standing in the community. I've posted a lengthy run down on this topic elsewhere on this fine BBS, check it out!

PF
 :idiot2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »
Viejo, that would be a very useful topic to post once you dig up all of the information.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor