Author Topic: INSIDE PHOTOS  (Read 30807 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: INSIDE PHOTOS
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
If we ever get Batfish off the ground (whether floating or propped up), we'll have to look into getting props made for her.

Back to the earlier discussion of becoming seaworthy, I think the only way that the Navy MIGHT allow a boat to motor out to sea would be if the holes at the bottom of the hull were welded shut and the dive plane transmissions were rendered inoperable.  Basically, this would ensure that she stays on the surface and there's no accidental dive, even if the ballast vents are accidentally opened or one has a bad seal.  Otherwise, if the boat could dive, all it takes is one bad seal on a door, exhaust port, induction valve, etc., to sink the boat permanently.

I think that would be a pretty popular attraction, if people could take a short cruise on a WWII sub.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 02:44:32 PM »
All I know about props was what the Museum Director told me once, and as a part of the acceptave agreement prop removal was mandaory along with about 20 pages of requirements.  Also someone mentioned inspections by the Navy as a ongoing thing.  Here is a view of the Cobia in dry dock on her last outside refurb, I think it was about 1997.
K0EFV Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »
I'm sure that they had a huge laundry list of requirements.  It was just a passing thought about motoring around on the surface.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Donation agreements regarding subs....
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 02:09:46 AM »
Don't know what your donation agreement looks like, but ours (COD's) is rather short:

Don't become a public hazard
Don't disgrace the US NAVY
Don't serve food from the galley
Don't make it navigable

Otherwise have a nice day...

Now the problem is that for the most part you can't preserve the engineering systems without returning it to OPERABLE state. The Navy doesn't want to have to deal with hysterical USCG officers regarding operating subs, destroyers, etc. running around the inland seas and shores, but we need to preserve the subs... so you have to lobby the hard liners at NavSea. And not try to go out on a fishing charter with your sub... hell hath no fury like the Coast Guard.

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
A fishing charter off the back of a fleet boat would be a great time!  Just think of how many people you could get lined up along the rails.  Fishing boats would be pretty jealous.  :)

I understand them not wanting a BB, CV, DD running amuck, but a 300'+ fleet boat wouldn't be much of a nuisance, as long as a licensed captain was giving the orders and it was no longer submersible.  It can't be anymore of a hazard than a large Russian freighter with a drunk pilot at the wheel and you wouldn't be parking it at the local marina.  Only a handful of museum boats could pull this off, anyway. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

chris

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
I WONDER HOW MANY MUSEUM BOATS COULD,WITH A LOT OF WORK i'M SURE GO OUT AND RUN ON THE SURFACE.WHAT A GREAT SIGHT THAT WOULD BE

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »
Only a handful would be close enough to being ready and then there's the feasibility due to their locations on large bodies of water.  Two that come to mind are Pampanito (San Francisco Bay) and Torsk (Baltimore Harbor), but there are a couple of others.  Requin might be able to pull it off, because the rivers in Pittsburgh are wide and deep enough and they probably get plenty of money and attention, since they are associated with the science center there.  Other boats (like the replica of the Nina) have come up the Ohio River to visit Pittsburgh before.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the Navy welded the flood vents closed on all of the boats, so that they wouldn't leak air over time and cause the ballast tanks to flood.  During and after WWII the Navy lost several old subs while towing them in rough seas.  I'm guessing that the vents were beaten around enough to open and the hydraulic and pneumatic systems would not have been operational to keep them shut.  Ballast tanks flood and down she goes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:43:16 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

chris

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »
YOU KNOW THE CROAKER HAD A SLIGHT LIST LAST YEAR AND I BET THERE IS A LEAK COMING FROM THE WELDED VENTS.A SUB VET TOLD ME THE LIST STARTED IN 2006 AND IS A LITTLE MORE NOW(2007 SUMMER)HAS A MUSEUM BOAT OTHER THAN CROAKER WHO WAS IN NEW LONDON EVER BEEN TAKEN BACK OR MOVED TO A NEW SITE BY THE NAVY

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
Though not physically taken back or moved by the Navy, the Requin was moved from Tampa and ultimately to Pittsburgh. The Silversides had bad operators in Chicago and ultimately, the Navy allowed the boat to move to Muskegon, Mich., in 1987.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
YOU KNOW THE CROAKER HAD A SLIGHT LIST LAST YEAR AND I BET THERE IS A LEAK COMING FROM THE WELDED VENTS.A SUB VET TOLD ME THE LIST STARTED IN 2006 AND IS A LITTLE MORE NOW(2007 SUMMER)

Something that gradual would be a pin-hole leak.  That's going to be a real fun chore to find.  Not sure how you can tell which ballast tank is flooding without all of the gauges being operational.  Some soap water around the seal of each vent should show some bubbling, if they are responsible.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

chris

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 08:51:46 PM »
REGARDING WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT SOAP AROUND THE SEAL OF EACH VENT IS A GOOD IDEA.MAYBE THEY HAVE FIXED IT BY NOW.IF THE NAVY NOTICED IT WOULD THEY NOT JUMP ON THEM FOR THAT?THE BOAT WAS IN FOR SOME WORK BACK IN 2002.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »
I would hope that they corrected it before the Navy got on their backs about it.  Last thing that they need is a museum boat capsizing or sinking on them.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline kikn79

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
I know I'm a little late to this party, but I thought I'd share some of the pictures from my overnight stay on the Cobia from last year.

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/kikn79/USS_Cobia/

If you follow the links on the left of the page, I tried to catagorize the pictures so you would only have to look at what you're interested in.

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »
I know I'm a little late to this party, but I thought I'd share some of the pictures from my overnight stay on the Cobia from last year.

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/kikn79/USS_Cobia/

If you follow the links on the left of the page, I tried to catagorize the pictures so you would only have to look at what you're interested in.

Thanks,
Chuck

Nice pictures there Chuck, and welcome to the forum!

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »
Yes being noobie here...anyway i read this wouldnt the cod be most operable if some hard work was put into her? and i visiited the NINA when it came down the Catoosa river or muskogee river in 2005 nice old ship yes they showed me where the head was........:D
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian