Author Topic: Ovens  (Read 16744 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Ovens
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
Not only are their ranges/ovens operational, Rick Dennis informed us yesterday that Pampanito now is licensed as an operational surface craft.  She can motor around anywhere she likes.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »
WHAT THE FLIP OVER??????   While I have no problem with Pamp being able to go to sea (she has NO screw's btw) :2funny:  I really have to wonder how wise that action is ???

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
Maybe she had new screws fabricated/installed?  Before I took that thing out I'd make sure that the vents could never open nor leak PERIOD.  Second, I would probably weld the open vent screens closed on the bottom.  I don't know what flaming hoops that they had to jump through to get it "seaworthy" and certified, but I'm sure that the Navy and Coast Guard had a huge checklist before they got their piece of paper.

With that being the case, there' hope for other floating museums to do the same that have access to a large body of water.  Being on a river is not as conducive.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
Don't forget that not too long ago the Pampanito stared in a movie.  It was out in SF bay at the time for filming.  I never knew if it was under it's own power.  :P
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
When they filmed Down Periscope in 1996, it was towed around for the film.  Now it can motor around on its own.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
Something sounds really wrong about all of this...

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »
Well the powers that be don't seem to think so.  Otherwise, they never would have gotten the approval.  The fact that it will never (purposefully) dive, again, played a big part in that decision.  I think it's nice that one of the museum boats is able to get around again.  A lot of vehicles from that era or permanently dormant, including land vehicles.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »
I would be amazed in Pampanito could "motor around on her own".  First of all, as Darrin said, she has no screws!  Second of all, if she is still Navy property, she is not allowed to unlock her shafts.  Then there is the issue of cooling the main motors.  Last time I talked with Rich, the sea chests were all welded over.  That would make it tough to cool the main motors.  The motors may be cooled with fresh water, but the fresh water still has to be cooled.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
That's what I was getting at.  It would seem to be flat out against all rules for the Pampanito to be "operational".  But now I don't know what it takes to be licensed as an "operational surface craft".  Do you know, Mark S.?  I'm curious about this.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:35 PM »
IF she was towed that would be different completely then turning her screws which she doesn't have nor does she have her batteries and that is where the power from the motors normally ran and then sent to the cube's for generation to the screws. She has(d) a tow mount attached under the waterline on her chin for the at sea sequence for the movie, with that a cable was run to that and to a tug a distance away to make it appear that she was underway on her own power..

I wonder how much they are planning on charging to take her out per person???  depending on the cost I don't see this venture happening very long ;)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:56 AM »
I will jump in her.  First this is information that was passed on to me from a volunteer that worked at the Pamp.  I do not know any more.   I also have a fairly recent photo of her puttering around the bay.   This sounds like an issue to ask the Pamp for the how to's and why for's.   

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
Too bad they never visit our website. :(

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Too bad they never visit our website. :(

I've tried my damnedest, maybe someone else would have better luck in asking.